Postdoctoral Researcher: Monolithic III-V/Si Photonic Devices
Imec is the world-leading research and innovation hub in nanoelectronics and digital technologies. The combination of our widely acclaimed leadership in microchip technology and profound software and ICT expertise is what makes us unique. By leveraging our world-class infrastructure and local and global ecosystem of partners across a multitude of industries, we create groundbreaking innovation in application domains such as healthcare, smart cities and mobility, logistics and manufacturing, and energy.
As a trusted partner for companies, start-ups and universities we bring together close to 3,500 brilliant minds from over 70 nationalities. Imec is headquartered in Leuven, Belgium and also has distributed R&D groups at a number of Flemish universities, in the Netherlands, Taiwan, USA, China, and offices in India and Japan. All of these particular traits make imec to be a top-class employer. To strengthen this position as a leading player in our field, we are looking for those passionate talents that make the difference! Currently we are looking for a motivated Postdoctoral Researcher: Monolithic III-V/Si Photonic Devices.
As part of its CMOS scaling R&D program, imec is currently developing a novel technology platform for wafer-scale monolithic integration of III-V optical devices on silicon using direct III-V epitaxial growth. As a post-doctoral researcher, you will contribute to the development of such devices, pushing the state of the art in monolithic light emitters, modulators and detectors on silicon for next-generation optical interconnects and sensing applications.
- Device modeling, design and layout (30%)
- Lab and cleanroom device fabrication (30%)
- Device characterization (30%)
- Reporting to internal and external stakeholders including imec partners and customers (5%)
- Reporting to the scientific community at conferences or in scientific journals (5%)
The ideal candidate has/is:
- Obtained a Ph.D. of Science in Electrical Engineering or Engineering Physics, with a focus on semiconductor devices physics.
- 3+ years’ experience in semiconductor laser/active device design, simulation and layout
- 2+ years hands-on experience in fabrication of photonic devices
- 2+ years’ experience in characterization of electro-optic devices
- Experience with silicon photonics and/or III-V epitaxial growth are a plus.
- An enthusiastic team player, yet able to independently solve complex problems with limited supervision.
- Excellent English communication skills and willing to work in a multicultural environment.
In exchange for your talent, passion and expertise, you will join a multicultural and high-tech company, with challenges there for the taking. Our flexible, progressive and informal working environment offers you a range of possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. This is your opportunity to contribute to the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow. imec supports and guides you in this process; not only with words but with concrete actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we are actively investing in the further development of all our employees to assure their technical and personal growth.
This postdoctoral position is funded by imec through the KU Leuven. Because of the specific financing statute which targets international mobility for postdocs, only candidates who did not stay or work/study in Belgium for more than 24 months in the past 3 years can be considered for the position (short stays such as holiday, participation in conferences, etc. are not taken into account).