imec.Xpand Investment Manager
Imec is the world-leading research and innovation hub in nanoelectronics and digital technologies. The combination of our widely acclaimed leadership in microchip technology and profound software and ICT expertise is what makes us unique. By leveraging our world-class infrastructure and local and global ecosystem of partners across a multitude of industries, we create groundbreaking innovation in application domains such as healthcare, smart cities and mobility, logistics and manufacturing, and energy.
As a trusted partner for companies, start-ups and universities we bring together close to 3,500 brilliant minds from over 70 nationalities. Imec is headquartered in Leuven, Belgium and also has distributed R&D groups at a number of Flemish universities, in the Netherlands, Taiwan, USA, China, and offices in India and Japan. All of these particular traits make imec to be a top-class employer. To strengthen this position as a leading player in our field, we are looking for those passionate talents that make the difference!
About imecXpandImecXpand is a game-changing way of investing in early-stage innovation on the crossroads of technology transfer, corporate venturing and traditional venture capital. ImecXpand will invest in innovative, early-stage ideas and projects, grown both inside and outside of imec. Projects in which the imec knowledge, expertise and infrastructure will be the differentiating factor for success. ImecXpand is targeting to raise € 100 million from government related investors, corporate partners, financial investors and high net worth individuals. ImecXpand is expected to be operational in the fourth quarter of 2016.
The imecXpand Investment Manager will be part of a team of three or four partners who will be responsible for independently operating and managing the investment portfolio of imecXpand, a € 100 million early stage innovation fund set up by imec.
You will be an integral part of the team that is solely responsible for all investment decisions of imecXpand. In addition to the day-to-day management of imecXpand, the role of the management team is to stimulate sufficient high quality deal flow, to identify among the deal flow high potential venture projects for imecXpand to invest in, to coach and mentor the selected projects throughout the different stages of their development and to lead them to spin-offs and other exits.
Within the team your main focus will be on assessing and understanding the technological potential and challenges of the projects that are presented, challenging the project teams on technological feasibility and market potential and bringing an entrepreneurial spirit and point of view to the imecXpand management team and the projects.
This is a challenging role that requires a strong technological background, an entrepreneurial spirit and a commitment to help identify, establish and scale new venture opportunities. You will be a hands-on coach and a mentor for the teams imecXpand invested in.
- As part of the management team of imecXpand you will be jointly responsible for making the investment decisions.
- Capable of assessing the technological viability, the market potential and the competitive landscape of an early stage project.
- Recognize promising ideas, establish win-win relations between ideas of different groups and encourage individuals to develop their ideas for entry into the venture funnel.
- Help create excellent entrepreneurial teams for venture opportunities. Help identify high potentials for these teams inside and outside imec, by extending and accessing the entrepreneurial network.
- Make sure the success factors of a scalable venture are well understood by the teams and applied to their case.
- Coach and mentor the teams to develop their business plans, get them selected by the investors and execute the plan.
- Help prepare the exit of the venture, and negotiate with the various stakeholders involved.
- Help create an environment where entrepreneurship is encouraged and developed.
- Establish partnerships with internal and external parties to promote new business ideas based on imec technologies.
- Liaise with public and private funds to help prepare funding for the new initiatives.
- Ambitious and highly motivated individual seeking a professional challenge.
- An individual with a strong entrepreneurial background in technology startups. Having participated in a lead role in a technology startup is a strong plus.
- Strong technological background through education or experience is a must.
- Passionate about coaching starting entrepreneurs and providing hands-on support in developing their business.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience of early-stage opportunities and translating technologies into businesses.
- High aptitude for technology development, intellectual property protection, patents and commercialization from discovery to development.
- Keen interest in and knowledge of the world wide early-stage nanotechnology/life-science landscape.
- Knowledge and experience in structuring venture capital style deals is a plus but not a requirement.
- Demonstrated ability to ramp up quickly and understanding the key attributes of technologies, products, markets and teams that lead to successful startup companies.
- Adequately judge problem situations and opportunities, recognize priorities and act accordingly in a flexible manner.
- Demonstrate operational excellence, by taking actions, coordinating, driving and assisting decision processes and paying attention to detail.
- Team player with strong verbal and written communications skills; presentation, customer service, business.
- Solid analytical skills, with excellent ability to share insights that drive results
- Master degree in Engineering or Sciences with relevant experience in nanotechnology and/or life sciences is a must.
- English language skills required.
In exchange for your talent, passion and expertise, you will join a multicultural and high-tech company, with challenges there for the taking. Our flexible, progressive and informal working environment offers you a range of possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. This is your opportunity to contribute to the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow. imec supports and guides you in this process; not only with words but with concrete actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we are actively investing in the further development of all our employees to assure their technical and personal growth. Your valuable contribution and that of your colleagues make imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of an attractive and competitive salary with many fringe benefits.