Researcher MOCVD III-V Epitaxy
Imec is the world-leading research and innovation hub in nanoelectronics and digital technologies. The combination of our widely acclaimed leadership in microchip technology and profound software and ICT expertise is what makes us unique. By leveraging our world-class infrastructure and local and global ecosystem of partners across a multitude of industries, we create groundbreaking innovation in application domains such as healthcare, smart cities and mobility, logistics and manufacturing, and energy.
As a trusted partner for companies, start-ups and universities we bring together close to 3,500 brilliant minds from over 70 nationalities. Imec is headquartered in Leuven, Belgium and also has distributed R&D groups at a number of Flemish universities, in the Netherlands, Taiwan, USA, China, and offices in India and Japan.
MOCVD III-V technology is used at imec for 3 different applications:
- AlGaN/GaN based materials for power and RF transistors because of their higher critical electric field for breakdown and faster switching speed. It is expected that a significant power saving will be realized over the conventional Si power devices, thus contributing to the overall energy efficiency of power supplies, photovoltaic inverters, and many other power systems.
- InGaAs/InP and GaSb/InAs based materials for the Logic program which aims at further extending Moore’s law of CMOS scaling in replacing Si by III-V layers as channel material due to their extremely high carrier mobilities and the possibility to go for innovative device stacks like Tunnel FETs
- InGaAs/InP based materials for the interconnect program, where optical interconnects based on III-V devices will bring the required bandwidth which cannot be met anymore by the standard electrical interconnects
Key to all these applications is the growth of the III-V hetero-structures on 200 / 300 mm Si or patterned device wafers, using metalorganic vapour phase epitaxy (MOVPE, also known as MOCVD).
To reinforce imec’s R&D in this field, we are looking for a (m/f) MOCVD researcher which is eager to contribute to this technological challenge.
You are member of the Epitaxial Growth group (EPI), which is responsible for developing processes in close collaboration with the process integration departments running imec’s CORE and CMORE programs. You work in a cross-functional teams of about 10 people with whom you interact on a daily basis. You will work in a dynamic multidisciplinary and multicultural environment in close cooperation with Researchers, Process and Hardware Engineers, Equipment Vendors, Industrial Assignees, Device and Process experts.
As a Researcher on Epitaxial growth, you will be responsible for developing MOCVD growth processes of III-V materials. Primarily, you are responsible for developing the processes that are required by imec’s programs or customers. For this, you work mainly in the cleanroom.
More specifically, you will:
- Define, organize and validate process development for the epitaxial growth of III-V materials and look for specific integration solutions.
- Provide fundamental understanding on the physical and chemical processes that govern the growth dynamics of III-V materials on blanket or patterned device wafers.
- Actively contribute to the research programs and joint development programs with external partners.
- Work cross-functionally with the integration/process support/hardware teams and industrial partners, utilizing scientific and engineering skills to enhance the team capability.
- Report about your work to internal and external partners, on international conferences, publish key results in scientific journals and turn new ideas into IP.
- Share and discuss your R&D results at team and program meetings, and you timely execute process development projects.
- Perform material and electrical characterizations of the grown layer stacks.
- Monitor industry trends and innovations, applying scientific knowledge and adapting to imec research programs and activities.
- Interface with device researchers to identify the future needs and trends
- Coordinate and implement the non-standard work in imec’s fab organization together with fab process engineers and the pilot line. This includes coordination of the transfer of developed processes and tools to support and operational teams.
You will be coached on-the-job by a senior MOCVD scientist.
- You preferably have a PhD in Physics or Material Science. 3-5 years’ hands-on experience in epitaxial growth of III-V materials like GaN, InGaAs, GaSb ... is a must.
- You are an enthusiastic and creative team player with strong networking, communication and reporting skills who likes to work in a multicultural team of imec researchers, PhD students and industrial researchers and will have frequently interactions with clients.
- You have project management skills and a strong capability to work independently with a focus on quality for your deliverables.
- You are working autonomously, well-organized, with a good attention to detail and you set high standards in everything you do.
- You are interested in working hands-on in a clean room environment.
- Given the international character of imec, good knowledge of (spoken and written) English is a must.
In exchange for your talent, passion and expertise, you will join a multicultural and high-tech company, with challenges there for the taking. Our flexible, progressive and informal working environment offers you a range of possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. This is your opportunity to contribute to the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow. imec supports and guides you in this process; not only with words but with concrete actions. Through imecAcademy, our ‘corporate university', we are actively investing in the further development of all our employees to assure their technical and personal growth. Your valuable contribution and that of your colleagues make imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of an attractive and competitive salary with many fringe benefits.