200mm GaN-on-Si technology will dominate the market in the coming years. We are already looking ahead to what will be the next generation of GaN technologies, and to how to extend the voltage range of GaN to 1200V and beyond.
R&D activities on 3 fronts
- We explore novel epi architectures on Si substrate as well as novel substrate technology with a coefficient of thermal expansion (CTE) matched to GaN or with interlayers between GaN and Si.
- We have proven that high breakdown voltage (>1100V) can be obtained by growing GaN on CTE matched substrates with a thinner buffer than on Si.
- We also demonstrated a GaN-on-SOI substrate with trench isolation technology to realize in our pilot line high level of integration and quasi-vertical 200mm GaN devices.
- We explore novel isolation technologies for higher level of integration of GaN transistors (high-side/low-side switches on the same chip).
- We investigate novel device architectures (quasi-vertical and vertical device) on 200mm substrates that would extend the current and voltage range of GaN devices.
What can we do for you?
- We have unique cleanroom facilities including a state-of-the-art, Au-free, CMOS compatible, 200mm GaN-on-Si technology platform for 200V and 650V power devices.
- Our industrial affiliation program (IIAP) connects you with imec’s global partner ecosystem, enabling you to share costs and lower risk through collaborative and precompetitive research.
Why work with us?
- Our research is based on a strong synergy between epitaxy, process integration, device technology and simulation
- We have an excellent track record in GaN-on-Si power devices with state-of-the-art d-mode (depletion mode), e-mode (enhancement mode) power devices and Schottky power diodes
- Our research is founded on high-quality 200mm/8-inch wafers with GaN power electronics featuring buffer layers with a high-breakdown voltage.
- Our expertise enables us to develop a solution tailored to your needs. We also accommodate the low-volume production of your device.
How can we help you?
Some examples of what we have done
At imec bright people build a bright future.
You could be one of these builders. Whether you are an engineer or an operator, a consultant or PhD student, we need a versatile group of people to help us create positive change.Join the forward thinkers
Business Model Researcher
The imec-SMIT business modeling cluster is involved in researching and developing business model methodologies and concepts for innovative technologies, services and infrastructures in ICT.
Gebruikersonderzoeker Gepersonaliseerde Mediadiensten
In het onderzoeksdomein gepersonaliseerde en immersieve mediadiensten werken we mee aan de creatie van het media-aanbod van de toekomst. Voor onze huidige en toekomstige onderzoeksprojecten rond gepersonaliseerde en immersieve media, zijn we op zoek naar een Living Lab onderzoeker die zich zal bezig…
Zin om deel uit te maken van een boeiend en innovatief L&D team? Word onze nieuwe imec.academy Training Assistant!
PhD Researchers on media policy and economics (2)
Within SMIT, both PhD positions are part of a large-scale research project within the field of media economics called “The exchange value and public value of content and communication services in future media ecosystems”.More job opportunities