Imec develops technology for tiny microchips made of plastics. This new technology provides a platform for simple plastic electronics that can be manufactured in very large volumes and at low cost and is thus very well-suited for IoT applications.
Imec’s technology is compatible with established production facilities in thin-film transistor industry. Our global value chain of partners can handle the manufacturing of new devices in foundry mode, a production method similar to that of silicon CMOS.
Imec develops an advanced indium-gallium-zinc-oxide technology with self-aligned transistor architecture (IGZO SAL TFT) that delivers state-of-the-art performance for thin-film microchips on plastics in terms of cut-off frequency, power consumption and reliability. Our technology enables digital and analog applications such as wireless tags, microprocessors and sensor interfaces.
Imec also develops a portfolio of standard cell libraries (high-speed, high-robustness, low-power) and ready-to-use IC design blocks to enable IGZO SAL TFT technology for system-on-chip designs. Our pilot line facility for sheet-to-sheet manufacturing (Gen1, 32x35 cm2) is an ideal platform for prototyping and optimization prior to volume scaling.
Available and developing IC design blocks:
- Design platform for IC design in IGZO TFT technology
- Wireless ICs
- 12-bit RFID
- NFC (ISO 14443-A barcode)
- Capacitive identification tags
- Analog ICs
- ADC (up to 6-bit)
- Plastic microprocessor
- Laser-programmable memory (LPROM)
How can we help you?
Some examples of what we have done
What can we do for you?
- Technology transfer of advanced IGZO TFT process
- Assistance on IC design and component development in TFT technologies
- Access to IC design library via licensing
- Provide prototyping and low-volume manufacturing
- Access to industrial network for volume manufacturing
- Benchmark and demonstration of new materials in TFT IC applications
- Specialized technical trainings to develop skills for your engineers
Why work with us?
- Advanced IGZO self-aligned (SAL) thin-film transistor (TFT) technology
- World-leading track record in thin-film transistor IC design
- IC design library
- Pilot line for prototyping
- Comprehensive know-how for the benchmarking of new materials and processes
At imec bright people build a bright future.
You could be one of these builders. Whether you are an engineer or an operator, a consultant or PhD student, we need a versatile group of people to help us create positive change.Join the forward thinkers
TFT interconnect-based circuit and architecture design and exploration
The communication and compute component organisation in embedded systems are a major source of cost and energy and the use of cheaper and very low leakage TFT materials to replace silicon CMOS potentially allows to significantly improve on this.
Ultrasound Design and Characterization Engineer
As an Ultrasound Design and Characterization Engineer, you will collaborate closely with the process technology team, and other electronic teams.
Postdoctoral researcher on flat optics by nanoimprint lithography
Shape light beams by advanced design and fabrication of thin film optical elements based on metasurfaces
Junior Process Step Engineer for D2W Heterogeneous Assembly
As a junior process step engineer, you will be participating to the development of new bonding and assembly processes.More job opportunities