Imec develops disruptive technologies for image sensors based on thin-film photodetectors. Ultra-thin, submicron active layers with absorption coefficients much higher than those of silicon and other materials, thus enabling new form factors and applications.
Imec is active in the full value chain, from screening new promising materials through pixel development all the way to image sensor prototyping and technology transfer to industrial fabs.
We integrate thin-film photodetectors with thin-film transistor (TFT) backplanes to develop large-area, flexible sensors that can be used for medical or industrial x-ray imaging or for conformable, curved focal planes.
We also integrate thin-film photodetectors with CMOS readout chips to develop monolithic infrared image sensors with high resolution.
Available and developing IP blocks
- Thin-film photodetector stack based on polymers, small molecules, metal oxides, perovskites and quantum dots
- Design and fabrication technology for TFT-based readout backplanes (passive and active pixel)
- Integration technology for TFPD on TFT and on CMO
- medical x-ray
- non-destructive testing / sorting
- gesture recognition
- biometric / fingerprint
- security and surveillance
- free-form imaging surface
How can we help you?
Some examples of what we have done
What can we do for you?
- Access our technology by licensing our IP blocks
- Access our integration technology for thin-film photodetectors on thin-film transistors and on CMOS
- Collaborate with imec to screen, evaluate and benchmark your new thin-film photodetector materials
- Collaborate with imec to develop your pixel stack for the integration on thin–film transistors or CMOS readouts
- Collaborate with imec to design and manufacture your custom-made image sensors
- We can transfer our large-area, flexible image sensor technology to an industrial fab
- We provide prototyping and low-volume manufacturing (Gen1, 32x35 cm2)
- Become a partner and access our industrial network for volume manufacturing
Why work with us?
- Advanced TFT technologies available for transfer
- State-of-the-art TFPD pixel stacks
- World-leading track record in large-area, medical x-ray sensors
- R&D labs and pilot line for testing your new organic and inorganic materials, equipment and processes
At imec bright people build a bright future.
You could be one of these builders. Whether you are an engineer or an operator, a consultant or PhD student, we need a versatile group of people to help us create positive change.Join the forward thinkers
R&D Engineer Bonding Transfer and Assembly
As a specialist, you will be responsible for developing new bonding and assembly processes. Primarily, you are responsible for developing the materials and processes that are required by imec’s R&D programs. For this, you work mainly in the cleanroom and you are supported by experienced technical …
Program Manager Nano-Imprint Lithography
We are looking for a program manager to lead the new Nano-Imprint Lithography activity at imec.
MEMS Design Engineer
Create and implement novel MEMS designs
R&D Engineer Thin Film Dielectric Deposition and Material Specialist
Develop low-k and low temperature dielectrics for advanced interconnect and patterning applications.More job opportunities