Application Prototyping Engineer (AR, VR & Unity)
What you will do
The Application Prototyping Team
Imec’s (formerly iMinds') application prototyping team (APT, around 30 people) develops system prototypes to investigate new IT paradigms and the role of IT in society. For example, APT plays an important role in finding out how cities can be improved or made more “smart” through internet-of-things (IoT) technology. The team is active in many different domains, focusing more on technological paradigms than on application domains (e.g. health, cities, manufacturing,…). In addition, APT creates tools to improve the prototyping activity of imec.
As an application prototyping engineer at imec you will be responsible for the software development of interfaces in a variety of projects in different domains.
You will join a highly skilled well-balanced team of junior and senior designers and developers, operating from our offices in the center of Ghent and Antwerp. You can choose from which of these two cities you prefer to work, as most of the team communication takes place online. In this role, you will get the opportunity to continuously experiment with new technologies and to work in cross-functional teams and projects in an international environment.
What we do for you
In exchange for your talent, passion and expertise, you will join a multicultural and high-tech company, with challenges there for the taking. Our flexible, progressive and informal working environment offers you a range of possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. This is your opportunity to contribute to the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow. imec supports and guides you in this process; not only with words but with concrete actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we are actively investing in the further development of all our employees to assure their technical and personal growth. Your valuable contribution and that of your colleagues make imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of an attractive and competitive salary with many fringe benefits.
Who you are
As an application prototyping engineer for AR, VR and Unity at imec you will be responsible for the development of 3D interfaces in a variety of projects in different domains. You will help the AR/VR development team to develop and design 3D experiences.
- To succeed in this role, you ideally already have a first practical experience (1-3 years) in Unity development or a comparable engine. You are comfortable with any number of the following technologies:
o Game Engines: Unity, Unreal, WebGL, frameworks (three.js, A-frame..)
o VR: Oculus SDK, Steam VR, PlayMaker, VRTK
o AR: ARKit, ARCore, Wikitude, Vuforia
o 3D modelling and texturing: Maya, 3ds Max, Blender, ZBrush, Substance painter, Cinema4D
- You are used to quickly learn new technological paradigms (languages, libraries, patterns,…) and are able to efficiently translate system requirements to concrete system functionality.
- You care about making high-quality user experiences.
- You're a strong team player. You're transparent about progress on tasks, you seek feedback and are an effective collaborator to your colleagues.
- You love to take on challenges and are highly result-driven.
Nice to have:
- Postprocessing in Unity
- Game level design
- Experience with Digital Twins
- Experience with SCRUM
- Micro service architectures
- Machine learning
- Backend development (NodeJS, )
- Mobile development (React Native, Android, iOS,...)
- Linux sysadmin