Innovating towards a healthier future with chip and digital technology in food and health.
In 2050 we are expected to live with 10 billion people on this planet. To let all those people live and eat well, while they take care of our planet, we need groundbreaking, sustainable (technology) solutions. That’s why we, at OnePlanet Research Center, are questioning ourselves:
What if we can measure and understand what is good for the world and
for each individual person? In terms of food and agriculture, in terms of
What if we can empower people towards more sustainable choices?
What if we can make data-driven nutrition and health possible?
What if we can manage stress to make people more resilient?
What if we can monitor the health of plants and animals?
What if we develop technology which does not adversely affect our environment, but which supports it?
What if we can transform mass production of food into personalized food on demand?
What if …?!
At OnePlanet Research Center we don’t just imagine it. We work on it. We dream ánd do. We research and develop digital technology in food, agriculture and health domains achieving behavior change. Change that is needed to create a healthier future, for our planet and for humanity.
OnePlanet Research Center
Innovation center for chip and digital technology in food and health
OnePlanet Research Center is a multidisciplinary collaboration
agreement between Wageningen
University & Research (WUR), Radboud University, Radboudumc and imec. We use the latest chip and digital technology to create a society in
which everyone can live a healthy life and has access to good and sufficient
We initiate groundbreaking, fundamental and applied research, groundbreaking innovations and smart product development. This is only possible by using and bringing together great ideas, innovations and chip and digital technologies from different disciplines and work closely together with industry. We ensure that companies, education, researchers, social institutions and citizens work together. We combine specialisms from the fields of agriculture, food and health and turn dreams into feasible solutions that contribute to a more sustainable society.
What you will do
We need you as a (Senior) Biochemical Engineer to be part of our interdisciplinary team to investigate technologies which can be used for creating innovative health solutions. You will investigate current products to develop them by using state-of-the-art technology. Main projects to be part of are related to the sensor development of an ingestible pill and a smart toilet project. You will work in a multidisciplinary team of electronic engineers, biomedical engineers and data scientists. You will also interact with customers and suppliers to align on planning, progress, and transfer of results. In this start-up environment you will start very hands-on, but you will have the opportunity to build up competence and technically lead projects on the biochemical side. Other tasks will include:
- Develop and execute experimental trials and experiments.
- Responsible for the execution of OnePlanet sensor research.
- Identifying the appropriate technologies and material selections that lead to new gas and fluidic sensors (applications) able to sense in or on the body and in the environment.
- Design of Experiment (DOE) development and use statistical tools to evaluate the effect of process treatment and optimized procedures.
- Real-life validation of the prototypes, outside the lab environment.
- Maintain a comprehensive understanding of leading technologies and products in the area of gas and fluidic sensors applications.
- Provide input for new research topics.
What we do for you
We offer a challenging and
international environment at the forefront of technology, in an international
network of renowned industrial customers. This is your opportunity to bring new
technologies to the market that will have an impact on tomorrow’s society.
OnePlanet Research Center is a multidisciplinary collaboration agreement between Wageningen University & Research (WUR), Radboud University, Radboudumc and imec. Imec The Netherlands, as an employer of choice, offers you an attractive compensation and benefits package including a 100% employer paid pension plan and flexible working hours. Furthermore, imec-NL offers a wide range of training possibilities.
At the same time OnePlanet is a new collaboration of 3 renowned and globally respected research institutes/universities. By joining the OnePlanet team, you will be part of a team of world changers; disruptive innovators and practical thinkers. Here, your ideas will have an impact on our future lives.
Who you are
- You have a MSc degree or PhD with preferably 2+ years’ experience in Biochemical Engineering or a similar field like Chemical Engineering, Materials Science or Chemistry in which you have focused on (bio)sensor development.
- You have experience with biosensor development, human biochemistry, human body fluids sample analysis.
- Knowledge of bio compatibility is a plus.
- You have a good experience of working in MATLAB.
- Your communication skills in English (written and spoken) are excellent.
- You are able to deal with ambiguity and see changes as an opportunity to learn and grow.
- You are a quick learner and interested in acquiring new skills and competences.
- Hands-on attitude; which means taking initiatives, thinking pro-actively, having a flexible attitude and solving problems on a daily base.
- You have always been interested in topics like nutrition, biology, chemistry, etc.
InterestedAre you interested in this position and do you want to learn more about it, then you can talk to Frank Wolfs, Talent Acquisition Lead OnePlanet. You can reach Frank via +31(0)6-50837563.
Click on ‘apply’ to submit your application. You will then be redirected to e-recruiting.