Biomedical Research Engineer
Innovating towards a healthier future with chip and digital technology in food and health.
In 2050 we are expected to live with 10 billion people on this planet. To let all those people live and eat well, while they take care of our planet, we need groundbreaking, sustainable (technology) solutions. That’s why we, at OnePlanet Research Center, are questioning ourselves:
What if we can measure and understand what is good for the world and
for each individual person? In terms of food and agriculture, in terms of
What if we can empower people towards more sustainable choices?
What if we can make data-driven nutrition and health possible?
What if we can manage stress to make people more resilient?
What if we can monitor the health of plants and animals?
What if we develop technology which does not adversely affect our environment, but which supports it?
What if we can transform mass production of food into personalized food on demand?
What if …?!
At OnePlanet Research Center we don’t just imagine it. We work on it. We dream ánd do. We research and develop digital technology in food, agriculture and health domains achieving behavior change. Change that is needed to create a healthier future, for our planet and for humanity.
OnePlanet Research Center
Innovation center for chip and digital technology in food and health
OnePlanet Research Center is a multidisciplinary collaboration agreement between Wageningen University & Research (WUR), Radboud University, Radboudumc and imec. We use the latest chip and digital technology to create a society in which everyone can live a healthy life and has access to good and sufficient food.
We initiate groundbreaking, fundamental and applied research,
groundbreaking innovations and smart product development. This is only possible
by using and bringing together great ideas, innovations and chip and digital
technologies from different disciplines and work closely together with
We ensure that companies, education, researchers, social institutions and citizens work together. We combine specialisms from the fields of agriculture, food and health and turn dreams into feasible solutions that contribute to a more sustainable society.
What you will do
We need you as a Biomedical Research Engineer to be part of our interdisciplinary team to investigate technologies which can be used for creating innovative health solutions. Next to research you will perform experimental field-trials with clinical partners to investigate new sensing technologies for different projects. For the short term it can be related to stress and pain, however your work will not be limited to just these fields. You will work in a multidisciplinary team of electronic engineers, bio-chemical engineers and data scientists. Other tasks include:
- Dive into state-of-the-art-technology on physiological signal processing, biomedical and nutrition applications to discover which technologies can be applied for our experiments/trials.
- Execute experiments and verify if the chosen concept works.
- Develop technology to prevent/manage/reduce/understand/predict/… stress and pain.
- Set up and execute data collection campaigns aimed at validating sensors and algorithms.
- Create methods to testing, evaluate and analyze the performance of sensors and algorithms.
- Develop and evaluate algorithms to estimate the physiological parameters in real-time, using signals from wearable sensors, like Accelero, Gyro, ECG, EEG, EMG, EOG, PPG, GSR, and BioZ.
- Create biomedical models to relate sensor data to physiological parameters.
What we do for you
We offer a challenging and international environment at the forefront of technology, in an international network of renowned industrial customers. This is your opportunity to bring new technologies to the market that will have an impact on tomorrow’s society.
Center is a multidisciplinary collaboration agreement between Wageningen University & Research (WUR), Radboud
University, Radboudumc and Imec
The Netherlands, as an employer of choice, offers you an attractive
compensation and benefits package including a 100% employer paid pension plan
and flexible working hours. Furthermore, imec-NL offers a wide range of
At the same time OnePlanet is a new collaboration of 3 renowned and globally respected research institutes/universities. By joining the OnePlanet team, you will be part of a team of world changers; disruptive innovators and practical thinkers. Here, your ideas will have an impact on our future lives.
Who you are
- You have a MSc degree or PhD with preferably 2+ years’ experience, in Biomedical Engineering or a similar field.
- You have experience with data collection on human subjects (e.g. wearables, medical equipment, biology, nutrition).
- Experience with designing and executing experiments and the analysis of large data sets.
- Knowledge of human physiological measurements, medical signal processing.
- You have solid and working knowledge of Python and preferably knowledge of MATLAB.
- Your communication skills in English (written and spoken) are excellent.
- You are able to deal with ambiguity. You see changes as an opportunity to learn and grow.
- You are a quick learner interested in acquiring new skills and competences.
- Hands-on attitude; which means taking initiative, thinking pro-actively, having a flexible attitude and solving problems.
- You are interested in a broad range of health-related topics such as nutrition, behavior, biology…
InterestedAre you interested in this position and do you want to learn more about it, then you can talk to Frank Wolfs, Talent Acquisition Lead OnePlanet Research Center. You can reach Frank via +31(0)6-50837563.
Click on ‘apply’ to submit your application. You will then be redirected to e-recruiting.