Business Development Manager Semiconductor Specialty Components
As a pioneer in nanoelectronics, imec brings smart chip technology to the world. We leverage our expertise in chip design, process technology development and digital technology to develop innovative devices for several markets.
With specialty components, we offer a solution in markets where partners need a specific silicon (Si) based device which is not available as a standard component. Projects typically entail the design of a device, the development of specific process steps and flows into imec’s Si fab. Once the process is completed and the customer product is qualified, customer can engage with imec into low volume manufacturing or can decide to transfer to foundry partners for volume manufacturing.
Our typical partners need such innovative components which they use in their instruments or tools to gain competitive edge in their market. We focus on Silicon based components as this allows us to enable strong integration with existing process technology available and allows for transfer in case of high-volume products to foundry partners, as such offering our partners a full solution from prototyping to final product volumes.
Today, imec is the world’s number one player in world-class product-minded R&D, prototyping and production of silicon and nanotechnology for specialty components. We combine extensive chip manufacturing facilities lab infrastructure with world-renowned expertise in Semiconductor processing technology, MEMS, 3D integration, bio-electronics, sensors, photonics, imagers, detectors, microfluidics etc....
Our ambition is to build strong relationships with world-class companies who want to bring new technologies to these markets.
What you will do
We have grown to become a large and internationally recognized team creating new components enabling new applications and their enabling systems, circuits, sensors, and algorithms. Our ambition is to further grow our business by further expanding the collaboration with our current partners as well as to engage with new ones.
As the first line business interface with customers and prospects, you are the one to:
- capture customer requests and needs
- assure that the customer request matches within imec’s capabilities
- closely work with the engineers in order to create clear and high-quality project proposals
- interface with legal and IP for contract drafting
- negotiate business and IP terms with the partner
- follow-up the project execution or the low volume manufacturing to assure high customer satisfaction
- build up a strong and trustworthy relationship with the customer
Your job description
- You have good knowledge a strong passion for semiconductor (processing) technology, applications and market since you will build and manage a portfolio of partners in this space.
- You become the trustworthy point of contact for some of current partners thus assuring excellent customer satisfaction, understand possible new needs and assuring continuity in their low volume manufacturing (quotations, POs, forecast, solving issues etc...)
- You understand the technology offering and assure that (tech) marketing material is updated and reflect the current status of imec’s technology (leaflets, presentations, internet site content etc...).
- You manage several customers and new incoming leads in parallel
- You generate new leads within the targeted market segments and discover opportunities for collaboration that matches imec’s specialty strategy
- You define go-to-market for specific identified technologies or for imec’s specialty capabilities
- You identify relevant trade shows and exhibition to attend and represent imec at those events
- You follow imec’s procedure and establish and excellent trustworthy collaboration with engineers, account managers, legal and Ip etc...
- You are capable of transforming engineering project proposals into beautiful and clear business project proposals
- Thanks to your technical knowledge, you understand customer requests and assess if it matches with imec’s specialties capabilities and strategy
- Thanks to your technical and application knowledge, you can capture which imec innovations will enable customer requirements
- You maintain excellent track of the customer interactions (meeting minutes, CRM etc..) and their revenu
- You coordinate the business terms, legal and IP aspects of proposals by aligning with account management, business development, legal and IP in imec Leuven. You negotiate and finalize contracts with the customer.
- You advise the program management regarding actions and (strategic) decisions on the research roadmap.
What we do for you
We offer you a challenging and international environment at the forefront of technology, in an international network of renowned industrial customers. This is your opportunity to bring new technologies to the market that will have an impact on tomorrow’s society. You work together with top researchers in their field.
Imec, as an employer of choice, offers you an attractive compensation and benefits package. Because we believe in “work hard – play hard”, we offer the possibility to opt for a maximum of 37 vacation days and an 100% employer paid pension plan. Furthermore, imec offers a wide range of training possibilities.
Who you are
- You have a PhD (preferably) or a Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering potentially enriched with a business degree.
- You have a background in semiconductor (processing) technology, MEMS, photonics, detectors etc...
- You have some years of experience in sales and/or business development and/or project management for semiconductor technology in the semiconductor market. Experience in a technical-commercial function in a research or advanced development environment is a strong plus.
- You are a strong and positive communicator, customer-oriented and diplomatic. At the same time, you are inquisitive, don't leave things open, and go for the most suitable process to close the deal.
- You can handle the administrative part of the business development job, including reporting, CRM, Meeting Minutes, Gap Analysis and other sales tools.
- You are a strong, trustworthy and reliable team player, working closely with the technical teams, legal and IP team and the regional account teams.
- You are very organized in order to be able to handle several customers at the same time.
- You can talk on technical, legal and business-related matters.
- You can adequately judge problem situations and opportunities, recognize priorities and act accordingly in a flexible manner.
- You enjoy regular traveling worldwide; travel percentage is approximately 20%.
- You are fluent in English.