Business lead/CEO for fake financial news detection venture (imec/VUB)
VUB and imec have developed technology for a disinformation monitoring application at their joint ETRO lab in Brussels. To further develop and to commercialize this technology, imec and VUB are investigating the creation of a new spin-off company. For this venture-backed start-up, we are looking for an entrepreneurial CEO with a background in the financial industry.
What you will do
- Define and execute the company strategy to steer the successful development of a technology that can detect disinformation, especially related to stock markets.
- Leverage your broad network in the financial world to translate the customers’ needs into product specifications that drive the development roadmap. Identify new business opportunities and develop strategic partnerships if required.
- Work in close co-operation with the technical team to build and execute the product development roadmap by a.o. defining the business model and the go-to-market strategy and ensuring alignment of short-term and long-term objectives. Oversee all operations and business activities to ensure they produce the desired results and are consistent with the overall strategy and mission.
- Close deals with the first paying customers and/or partners.
- Identify and hire key resources to build a high performing and ambitious team and ensuring full engagement of the team for company success.
- Assembling an advisory board with the key opinion leaders in the fields relevant for the business.
- Develop an exciting yet realistic business plan, raise the necessary funds and manage the P&L of the company.
- Build trust relations with customers, key partners and stakeholders and act as a point of contact for important shareholders.
- Analyse challenging situations and occurrences and provide solutions to ensure company survival and growth.
- Maintain a deep knowledge of the markets and industry of the company.
Who you are
- You are an enthusiastic entrepreneurial CEO or business lead with aproven experience building new software startups from scratch or with a track record as people manager in the area of Product Development in a corporate finance or media environment, but with a hands-on approach.
- You have experience with the financial markets and/or reputation management at large companies.
- You have had international exposure and experience in working with customers and partners in different geographies.
- You have experience with fund raising (institutional as well as grants).
- You possess outstanding organizational and leadership skills.
- You have strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- You are an excellent communicator and have strong public speaking skills.
- You are familiar with diverse business functions such as sales, marketing, finance, IP etc. Hands-on experience with these functions will be a plus.
- You have in-depth knowledge of corporate governance and general management best practices.
- You are based or willing to be based in Belgium and willing to travel when needed.
For more information about this position contact Koen Huybrechts (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Nikolaos Deligiannis (email@example.com).