What you will do
In both communication and radar applications, there is a never-ending push to mm-wave and terahertz frequencies for higher data rates, higher capacity, higher resolution and so on. At such high frequencies, several heterogeneous materials and technologies must be combined at different scales ranging from less than a micrometer up to many centimeters. To achieve the level of integration and cost/performance needed for future mm-wave products, the system architecture needs to be co-evolved together with the underlying semiconductor and passive integration technologies.
For communication and radar systems operating at frequencies above 100 GHz, we aim to combine, III-V, CMOS, waferscale packaging technologies, novel package substrates, advanced PCBs, and 3D manufacturing technologies, to achieve the best system-level trade-off between cost, performance and footprint. Optimizing the entire mm-wave electromagnetic signal path from the active devices up to free space radiation is essential to achieving this goal.
To strengthen our R&D team, we are looking for an electromagnetics expert to develop these breakthrough technologies for next generation wireless and radar applications. You will work alongside experts across multiple domains (analog and digital circuits design, device and packaging technology development, system design, etc.), in an industry-driven R&D environment.
In this job, your main tasks will be:
- Simulations of flip-chip interconnects, antenna arrays, waveguides, launchers etc.
- Modelling and simulation of passive components like inductors, filters, couplers up to sub-terahertz frequencies
- Layout and measurement of on-wafer and PCB structures, radiation pattern measurements of sub-terahertz antenna arrays
- Perform co-optimization of mm-wave packages across multiple physics domains like EM, thermal and mechanical
- Work with 3D technology experts to define technology flows where both manufacturability and EM performance are co-optimiz
What we do for you
We offer you the opportunity to join one of the world’s premier research centers in nanotechnology at its headquarters in Leuven, Belgium. With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow.
We are proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth.
We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a competitive salary with many fringe benefits.
Who you are
- You have a strong Background in Electromagnetic field theory, EM field simulations, mm-wave packaging, antenna design
- You have a PhD or a Master’s degree with 3+ years of relevant job experience
- You are proficient in simulations tools like Ansys HFSS or CST Microwave Studio
- Experience with circuit modelling of passive components in Keysight ADS is a plus
- Experience performing on-wafer mm-wave measurements and antenna measurements in anechoic chambers is a plus
- Experience with thermal simulations in Ansys Icepak is a plus
- You have very good English language skills (written and spoken)
- You are motivated by R&D and interested in writing patents and publications