Experimental researcher for nanopore devices
What you will do
Within imec’s Life Science Technologies department, our group’s research activities focus on the development of novel tools for health care applications. Current projects vary from lab-on-a-chip systems to photonic sensing and imaging devices and molecular analysis tools based on solid state nanopores. Such technologies require a multidisciplinary approach within a team that has expertise in engineering, molecular biology, cell biology and surface chemistry. Especially for our work in new devices based on solid state nanopores, we are looking for an enthusiastic employee eager to shape tomorrow’s health care technologies. We aim at research and development at the highest international level and with relevance for the biomedical and pharmaceutical industry.
One of the emerging platforms is based on a combination of solid state nanopores with state-of-the-art field-effect-transistors, enabling massively parallelized readout of nanopore devices, which are designed for interrogating single molecules. We expect this technology will have direct impact on point of care biomedical research, diagnostics and precision medicine.
You, as the successful candidate, will provide experimental support of these exploratory projects, build experimental setups, develop measurement and analysis protocols of both hardware, molecular assays and algorithms for parallel and fast single-molecule sampling. With your contributions, we may enhance our understanding of these novel devices and pave the way a new class of sensing devices. The wafer-level fabrication and basic device characterization of these devices will be carried out in imec’s 300 mm semiconductor pilot line and established device testing labs. You will closely interact with both device physicists and designers and process integration engineers for device development, as well as biophysics and biochemistry researchers for molecular assay development. You will carry out your work in imec’s life lab, where you can work together with an international, multidisciplinary team. And you will need to participate in regular project and team meetings and delivery your results.
What we do for you
In exchange for your talent, passion and expertise, you will join a multicultural and high-tech company, with challenges there for the taking. Our flexible, progressive and informal working environment offers you a range of possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. This is your opportunity to contribute to the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow. imec supports and guides you in this process; not only with words but with concrete actions. Through imec.academy, ‘our corporate university', we are actively investing in the further development of all our employees to assure their technical and personal growth. Your valuable contribution and that of your colleagues make imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of an attractive and competitive salary with many fringe benefits.
Who you are
- A PhD in the field of Microelectronic Engineering, Biophysics, or Biochemistry, or a M.Sc with extensive (5+ years) research experiences in a similar field.
- Research track on nanopore sensing sensors or bio-FETs is an asset.
- Extensive knowledge of and experience with semiconductor devices characterization, nanoscaled characterization, and surface chemistry, and basic knowledge of single-molecule technology.
- Hands-on experiences with advanced lab facilities (e.g. current amplifiers, oscilloscope, probe stations, SEM, TEM, fluorescence microscope, surface functionalization, etc.).
- Hands-on experiences with data analysis and algorithm development.
- Theoretical understanding of and experience with modeling of semiconductor device or fluidics is an asset.
- Self-motivated, independent, innovative, results driven but rigorous, and team-player.
- Good communication, interpersonal and organization skills to link research groups and project partners.
- English language skills to work in imec’s international working environment.