Hardware Design Engineer, Electronics
What you will do
As a Hardware Design Engineer, Electronics, you will be responsible for the design integration and testing of circuit boards that drive and support imec devices and their integration into systems.The support electronics include power supplies, clocking electronics, signal integrity and data acquisition, drive signal generation, microprocessor integration, FPGA integration, communication interfaces and other interfaces. You will work with systems, software and mechanical engineers and participate in all the stages of prototype development from requirements gathering to testing and integration of the prototype demonstrators. Example systems include Millimeter Wave Imagers, Terahertz Imagers, active visible and Near IR imagers and Lidar systems.
- Develop electronics for prototype systems.
- Work with engineers to provide input to help develop the system requirements and to develop the various device interfaces.
- Develop prototype electronics for sub-system testing.
- Survey and select available components for each electrical subsystem and perform circuit schematic design and simulation as needed to reduce design risk.
- Perform layout design and generate package files and BOM for PCB fabrication and assembly.
- Develop power supply circuitry, signal conditioning and signal integrity circuitry, analog to digital converter circuitry, drive circuitry, clocking circuitry, device communication interfaces.
- Implement microprocessor and FPGA manufactures’ reference designs and modify the schematics and layout designs as needed without compromising performance.
- Generate and maintain documentation related to the electrical design.
What we do for you
You will have the opportunity to design and implement support electronics for proof of concept systems and prototypes for state of the art devices developed at imec. Your designs will support many applications and each prototype will be a great learning experience that will enrich and grow your capabilities and expertise. You will enjoy design freedom and collaboration with field experts.
In exchange for your talent, passion and expertise, you will join an ambitious organization, with challenges there for the taking. Our progressive and informal working environment offers you a range of possibilities to take initiative. This is your opportunity to contribute to the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow. Your valuable contribution and that of your colleagues make imec a top player in its field. As you would expect from a true world player, we offer you an attractive compensation package including: medical, dental and vision, and 401k with employer match to reward your drive and commitment.
Who you are
- BS in Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering, MS preferred
- 5+ years of experience in high speed analog, digital and mixed signal printed circuit card design
- Experience designing and testing printed circuit boards for DACs/ADCs, noise-sensitive analog circuits, and digital electronics such as FPGAs and microcontrollers
- Microprocessor and FPGA system design experience
- Experience with PCB design software (Altium designer, Allegro PCB Designer, or other) and circuit simulation software
- Proficient in integrating, testing, and debugging the hardware that you design
- Able to adapt and iterate on designs as requirements evolve based on measurements of your hardware
- HW/SW interfaces, PCB interfaces, and design for in-system test
- Motivated to work in a multidisciplinary team including imaging systems, RF, photonics and CMOS engineers
- Hands-on attitude, taking responsibility for the process from specification to implementation, testing and debugging, including communication and alignment with different stakeholders
- FPGA experience including VHDL, Verilog and Firmware and embedded software programming is a plus.
- Knowledge of Xilinx or other FPGA design tools is a plus
- Ability to communicate technical specifications, requirements and results
- Flexible team player, actively collaborating with other team members,
- Quick learner, able and interested in acquiring new skills and competences