Imaging and Computer Vision Engineer
What you will do
Within the imec Solutions department, we build application-oriented prototypes around unique imec chip-level technology. Together with the component experts, we innovate at the system level to bring these imec technologies to the next level and to bridge the gap between research and industry. A system here is composed of an innovative microchip or sensor, combined with custom or off-the-shelf electronics, optics, mechanics, fluidics and both embedded and application specific algorithms and control software. Our mission is to demonstrate and validate these systems in a relevant environment and generate valuable data for our customers. We are building a multidisciplinary team that has expertise in system engineering, mechanics, electronics, optics, software, product development and quality systems.
Some examples of applications are:
We are looking for an imaging specialist/computer vision engineer with a strong background in computer vision and image processing techniques to join our team in Leuven. You will work together with various sub-system development teams to keep the technical overview up to date and highlight system performance and risks accordingly. You will report your progress, both to internal as well as external stakeholders.
In this job, your main activities will be:
- To develop and implement vision software to acquire images/videos from various computational imaging systems, analyse videos and images and contribute to prototype & product development.
- To integrate the image processing pipeline in a modular way, building on algorithms developed by your colleagues. To optimize performance and throughput and use software engineering best practices.
- To develop new algorithms based on state of art techniques
- To develop computer vision skills to keep up to date with latest research
- To interact with customers in bilateral and funded projects to understand requirements and deliver reports on progress
- To collaborate with colleagues in a multidisciplinary team to reach relevant milestones & deliverables
- To optimize prototype image analysis algorithms onto various platforms (windows/linux/laptop/mobile/cloud)
- To contribute & lead image analysis and software development in the team
- To maintain relevant software repositories and documentations
What we do for you
We offer you the opportunity to join one of the world’s premier research centers in nanotechnology at its headquarters in Leuven, Belgium. With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow.
We are committed to being an inclusive employer and proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth.
We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a market appropriate salary with many fringe benefits.
Who you are
- You have a Professional Master’s degree or PhD in electrical/software engineering or equivalent through experience.
- You have at least 5 years of experience in computer vision and image processing algorithms
- You have a talent for prototyping of innovative software technologies, potentially in tandem with innovative imec hardware and system technologies
- You have experience in computer vision, machine learning/artificial intelligence & image processing techniques
- You can define the right tools for the job (from the hardware platform and programming language to the algorithms and libraries)
- You have good experience in Python/Matlab and can learn a new programming language rapidly.
- Experience with other image processing tools & libraries (e.g. OpenCV, PyQt, CUDA) is a plus
- You are used to quickly embracing new technological paradigms (languages, libraries, technologies, …)
- You love to take on challenges and are driven to generate results.
- A team player with excellent communication skills and fluent in English.
- Willingness to work at the Imec facilities in Leuven is required.
- Nice to have experience with data science techniques in cloud (e.g. AWS, Azure, GCP etc) would be a plus.
- Nice to have experience in software product development
- Nice to have experience in holography, multi/hyperspectral data processing, fluorescence imaging
- Nice to have experience with data acquisition software/firmware different camera/sensor interfaces (USB, PCIe, CSI, MIPI..etc)