Instrumentation Engineer Lifesciences
What you will do
Within the imec Solutions department, we build application-oriented prototypes around unique imec chip-level technology. Together with the component experts, we innovate at the system level to bring these imec technologies to the next level and to bridge the gap between research and industry. A system here is composed of an innovative microchip or sensor, combined with custom or off-the-shelf electronics, optics, mechanics, fluidics and both embedded and application specific algorithms and control software. Our mission is to demonstrate and validate these systems in a relevant environment and generate valuable data for our customers. We are building a multidisciplinary team that has expertise in system engineering, mechanics, electronics, optics, software, product development and quality systems.
Some examples of applications are:
We are looking for an experienced Instrumentation Engineer to join our team in Leuven, to support the prototyping and product development of novel Life Sciences technologies. You will actively participate in the creation of new systems and iteratively evolve instrument concepts and implementations for internal and external stakeholders. Our systems typically include multiple components: electronics, mechanics, fluidics, biosensors, optics, photonics, thermal control, and software interfaces. Your system mindset will allow you to link all these modules in integrated setups and instruments to fulfil operational requirements. Further on, you will support the application engineers and scientists in the outline and execution of verification activities and in the introduction of new hardware and software features.
You will work on the Integration of complete workflows resulting in easy operation, experiment speed and accuracy, reduced human error, traceability, reproducibility, and compliance. Your activity will take place in a state-of-the-art bio-lab infrastructure with capabilities for surface and bioassay characterization, biosensor testing, DNA research, microfluidics, neural probes, lens-free imaging, among others.
In this job, your main activities will be:
- Design and build prototype lab instrumentation and technology demonstrators in an R&D environment for Life Sciences applications
- Automate test stands that include optical, fluidic, mechanical, and electrical components: design and execute verification plan together with application scientists
- Work closely with an interdisciplinary team of engineers and scientists to create and refine system-level and lower-level requirements
- Continuously review specifications, assess impact of changes, and proactively anticipate risks and bottlenecks
- Provide troubleshooting and debugging support for internal users
- Interface with external vendors and third parties for selection of components or procurement of customized parts
- Work according to agreed customer timelines and report on progress internally and to external partners
- Manage time effectively and quickly adapt to new project requirements and change requests
What we do for you
We offer you the opportunity to join one of the world’s premier research centers in nanotechnology at its headquarters in Leuven, Belgium. With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow.
We are committed to being an inclusive employer and proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth.
We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a market appropriate salary with many fringe benefits.
Who you are
- You hold an MSc in Engineering or equivalent expertise acquired through proven professional experience & certified training
- You have an interest in innovation; experience in a R&D setting, working with laboratory instrumentation is a plus
- You have practical experience in prototyping and product development environment with an interdisciplinary team
- You can take ownership of a system and combine both a hands-on mentality and system thinking
- Direct practical experience with hardware development and verification of electronics and embedded systems is highly valued
- You have experience with software development. Preferred knowledge: Python, LabVIEW, MATLAB
- You are open to quickly learning new paradigms, patterns, languages, frameworks, and libraries
- You are a team player with excellent communication skills and fluent in English
- Availability to work at the Imec facilities in Leuven is required