Optical system design expert
What you will do
As an Optical System Design Expert you will model, develop, and analyze photonic and opto-electronic (sub)systems across many wavelengths. You will leverage your theoretical knowledge in electromagnetics, radiometry, optics, detectors, as well as elements of image and signal processing to determine, predict and characterize the optical performance of new photonic and opto-electronic circuits, typically fabricated with semiconductor technologies, that can include also new components and materials. This role includes concept development, design, and characterization of novel and unique active and passive photonic and opto-electronic systems for example for Holography, Lidar and photonics-based sensors in visible and/or infrared. They will find their application in systems for high-end industrial sensing, health, automotive and consumer markets.
As Optical System Design Expert you will be responsible for:
- Modeling, simulating, designing, and proof of concept development of new photonic and opto-electronic concepts for light emission, and sensing across visible and infrared.
- Development of modeling and simulation tools, or flows with off-the-shelf modeling tools, to capture and analyze the complexity of systems under study
- Evaluating state of the art optical readout schemes and identifying the optimal approach for different sensing applications
- Guiding the development of proof-of-concept multi-domain demonstrations in the lab
- Providing critical feedback and design guidance on the development of new photonic circuits and opto-electronic component/device technology to the design and technology development teams.
- Collaborating with colleagues and external partners, for example to bring systems to a higher TRL level
- Generating novel ideas and concepts that will attract collaboration with industry partners.
- Taking the lead in developing original and significant system concepts and design approaches as well as support other researchers pursuing concept and device breakthroughs.
- Participating in proposal writing for new projects.
- Publishing in relevant scientific journals, attend and present at top conferences, and patent new innovations
What we do for you
We offer you the opportunity to join one of the world’s premier research centers in nanotechnology at its headquarters in Leuven, Belgium. With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow.
We are committed to being an inclusive employer and proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth.
We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a market appropriate salary with many fringe benefits.
Who you are
- Have a PhD in engineering, optics, physics or equivalent, and 5 years of directly relevant experience in a research/industrial environment
- Experience with photonic and opto-electronics devices and sub-systems, ideally both passive and active; and with light coherence phenomena
- Experience with optical and photonic modeling and simulation approaches
- Have some background in signal processing, signal analysis, data analysis, image analysis
- Have knowledge of phenomenology, spectral behavior, polarization behavior, scattering, propagation, properties of materials
- Knowledge of electro-optic lab equipment such as lasers, drivers, polarization synthesizers, detectors.
- Have experience with measurement techniques and characterization of performance of photonic and opto-electronic components
- Have hands on experience with software programming tools, programming GUIs, Python preferred and C/C++, CUDA programming, MATLAB are a plus
- Experience developing and working with development boards / FPGA/ Microprocessor is a plus
- Can translate (vague) customer requirements into a concept and ultimately a proposal
- Have experience generating or contributing to quotes, statements of work, and proposals
- Have relevant publications in the field
- Can work independently yet in close collaboration with experts from other technical fields
- Have excellent reporting skills and can present technical results and choices clearly and concisely
- You can easily integrate into a cross-functional, culturally diverse, international team. Fluency in English is essential.