Passive Optical Devices Designer
What you will do
Imec is a global pioneer in developing integrated silicon photonics technology through its Optical I/O R&D program targeting short-reach optical communications. This technology is successfully offered via wafer-level prototype fabrication services to customers in telecom, datacom, computing, bio-medical and sensing applications. These activities are growing and require the expansion of our team.
As a passive optical devices designer, you contribute to the further development of our silicon photonics platforms (SOI and SiN). You create, maintain and improve the passive library devices regarding performance, compact model and yield. Your devices are shared through PDK’s to users of our platforms all around the world. You act as a technical interface with customers and use their feedback to improve your class of devices. You participate in internal SiPho development runs on 200mm and 300mm to implement improved component designs and you leverage imec’s automated SiPho test stations to implement and test your new device concepts with fast turnaround times.
- Define, implement, and document design methodologies for robust passive devices.
- Design state-of-the-art passive building blocks for imec silicon photonics platforms (SOI and SiN), 200mm and 300mm. Among others: low-loss and broadband waveguides, bends, power-splitters, crossings, transitions, gratings and wavelength selective filters, polarization rotators and splitters.
- Design and maintain test structures for process control and process improvement.
- Simulate, model, design, layout and characterize your devices with the tools used in the team and contribute to an improved functionality of those python-based tools.
- Own the passive devices characterization in the test infrastructure (test procedure, data analysis and reporting).
- Build compact models to be used by circuit designers (internal and external customers).
- Share your expertise with your colleagues in the silicon photonics group.
- Interact directly with customers.
What we do for you
We offer you the opportunity to join one of the world’s premier research centers in nanotechnology at its headquarters in Leuven, Belgium. With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow.
We are proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth. We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a competitive salary with many fringe benefits.
Who you are
- You have a Master or PhD degree.
- You have an excellent understanding of the physics of integrated photonics passive devices and knowledge of semiconductor manufacturing process and constraints.
- You have demonstrated experience with designing robust passive optical devices for example Si, SiN or SiO2, preferably in an industrial context.
- You have experience and are comfortable programming in Python, and with git.
- You have run large simulations to explore design spaces and evaluate device sensitivity.
- You master your simulation tools (Lumerical and/or RSoft) and understand the pro and cons of each simulation method.
- You layout your designs using a scripting language (like ipkiss from Luceda Photonics).
- You are curious and creative. You like to collaborate with colleagues using code.
- You have good communication skills in English to communicate with your colleagues in our multinational team and with customers.