University of Antwerp – imec IDLab Research group
The IDLab research group of imec and the University of Antwerp performs fundamental and applied research on internet technologies and data science. The overall IDLab research areas are machine learning and data mining; semantic intelligence; distributed intelligence for IoT; cloud and big data infrastructures; multimedia coding and delivery; wireless and fixed networking; electromagnetics, RF and high-speed circuits and systems. Within Antwerp, IDLab specifically focuses on wireless networking and distributed intelligence. IDLab has a unique research infrastructure used in numerous national and international collaborations.
IDLab collaborates with many universities and research centres worldwide and jointly develops advanced technologies with industry (R&D centers from international companies, Flanders’ top innovating large companies and SME’s, as well as numerous ambitious startups).
For further development of the IDLab machine learning research cluster, we are looking for a PhD researcher in the domain of machine learning for wearables.
- You have or will soon obtain a Master of Science degree, preferably in Engineering, Mathematics, Computer Science, Physics, Electrical Engineering, or equivalent.
- You have experience with programming languages and software development
- You have a profound interest in artificial intelligence and machine learning. Knowledge on deep learning and/or reinforcement learning is an additional asset.
- You are interested in the application domain of wireless networks
- You are a team player and have strong communication skills.
- Your English is fluent, both speaking and writing.
The research project
People take thousands of decisions everyday: some trivial, some very important ones. A lot of these decisions have an impact on health and well-being: should I eat another snack? Will I take the stairs or the elevator? Nudge is a concept in behavioral science which proposes positive reinforcement and indirect suggestions as ways to influence the behavior and decision making of people.
In this multi-disciplinary research project, you will be part of a team that researches new ways to use nudges within wearables to make personalized and timely recommendations. These recommendations should motivate people to lead an active and healthy life. Within this project, you will be responsible for developing new machine learning solutions, which can be run on embedded devices such as wearables. You will thus be researching new power-efficient machine learning algorithms and apply them to wearable settings such as the use of nudging recommendations.
- You are conducting research in the IDLab distributed intelligence team, enhancing or extending existing algorithms and creating new ones.
- You will be working on a new fundamental multi-disciplinary research project in which we will develop new AI solutions for wearables (see above)
- You will implement novel deep learning algorithms, and conduct experiments to compare the new algorithms with existing state-of-the-art methods
- You will write detailed evaluation reports on the developed algorithms and executed experiments, publishing them in major conferences and journals.
- You will develop demonstrators in the framework of European and national research projects (in collaboration with industry).
If you are interested in this vacancy or you want more information: please contact Hanne.Everts@uantwerpen.be.