Photonic Active Devices Engineer
As a R&D foundry, imec has established a widely recognized silicon photonics technology meeting today’s and tomorrow’s industrial needs for high performance optical interconnects. To continue on this successful trajectory and expand its offering into other application domains, imec is expanding its silicon photonics team with 12 additional positions including 4 positions for optical and electro-optical device design and characterization.
As a Photonic Active Device Engineer, you will be responsible for:
- Generate, develop and demonstrate device concepts to push the state of the art in integrated silicon photonics (active components).
- Define test plan and methodology, perform photonic device characterization and capture learning to support design and process improvements.
- Drive project execution by interacting with integration engineers, circuit designers, and test & reliability engineers.
- Report to internal stakeholders, including peers across team/group/unit and to external stakeholders including imec partners and customers.
- Report to the scientific community at conferences or in scientific journals.
- Stay on top of the state of the art within your competence domain and benchmark imec’s solutions.
The ideal candidate has/is:
- Obtained a Master or Ph.D. of Science in Electrical Engineering or Engineering Physics, with a focus on semiconductor devices physics and semiconductor process technology.
- 2+ years’ experience in integrated optics, optical communications and semiconductor physics as related to photonics devices during academic curriculum or equivalent.
- Experience in high-speed (>10Gb/s) photonic device design (modulator, detector, switches, VOA’s), simulation (e.g. Ansys HFSS, Agilent ADS) and characterization (S-parameters, TDR, eye diagram & BER measurements) is a plus.
- An enthusiastic team player, yet able to independently solve complex problems with limited supervision, in a fast-paced and highly challenging environment.
- Able to plan, drive and complete complex, multi-disciplinary projects on schedule and with a focus on quality.
- Excellent English communication skills and is willing to work in a multicultural environment.