Post-doctoral researcher multiscale thermal modelling
What you will do
As a post-doctoral researcher at imec – one of the R&D centers where the future chip technology is invented – you will work on innovative thermal modeling. You’ll develop a new approach that spans the full range of physical dimensions in next-generation electronic systems.
Here is some background: For a large variety of microelectronic applications, we now use continuum thermal modeling. However, at small dimensions this approach is no longer valid; it fails to correctly predict the behavior at the interfaces between materials. As we expect a steady increase of the number of such near-channel interfaces, we need another approach. Modeling based on the Boltzmann transport equation (BTE) is capable of modeling both bulk and interfacial thermal properties accurately at nanoscale dimensions. However, it is very compute- and time-intensive, limiting it to much smaller dimensions than needed for system and device level simulations. This leaves us with a gap of several orders of magnitude between the nanoscale and continuum approach. Your research will help to close that gap and accurately model the full range of physical dimensions needed for future chips.
In this postdoctoral position, you will combine nanoscale modeling with macroscopic, device, chip, PCB and system level continuum modeling. The first approach focuses on the description of materials, and on interfaces at the atomistic scale. The second allows a full scale thermal analysis from (sub-)device to system levels. This multiscale modeling approach will allow a more holistic system design:
- Engineer and optimize the nanoscale devices from material to chip
- Develop three-dimensional integration schemes for sequential memory and logic applications. Here, mechanical properties (stress) and thermal management are key challenges.
In particular, we need your expertise to:
- Model the nanoscale thermal bulk and interfacial behavior of materials.
- Develop the modeling tools for a multiscale thermal analysis based on:
- The Boltzmann transport equation at the nanoscale level.
- The Fourier heat conduction at the package level.
- Apply the multiscale approach to test cases in various research domains including advanced logic and memory devices (such as finFETs, nanowires), interconnections in the back-end of line (BEOL) and 3D system integration.
- Design test structures and measurement methodologies for the validation of the new modeling approach.
What we do for you
We are pleased to offer you an opportunity to join our multicultural and high-tech company in Leuven, Belgium. In exchange for your talent, passion and expertise, you get a challenging job in an environment were even more challenges are for the taking. We are proud of our flexible, progressive and informal working environment with a range of possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. This is your chance to contribute to the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow. We commit to support and guide you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we are actively investing in your further development to assure your technical and personal growth. We are aware that your valuable contribution and the one of your colleagues make imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of an attractive and competitive salary with many fringe benefits.
This postdoctoral position is funded by imec through KU Leuven. Because of the specific financing statute which targets international mobility for postdocs, only candidates who did not stay or work/study in Belgium for more than 24 months in the past 3 years can be considered for the position (short stays such as holiday, participation in conferences, etc. are not taken into account).
Who you are
- You have a PhD in Physics, Chemistry or Engineering (Mechanical, Material, Electrical, Computer).
- You’d love to leave your mark, helping us to innovate and design tomorrow’s technology.
- You obviously have a background in modeling and simulation including ab initio, molecular dynamics modeling or nanoscale thermal modeling (BTE), finite element modeling. In addition, we would value your experience with programming.
- Our teams are diverse and international. Therefore, we need your to have an open mind and strong English communication skills.