Postdoctoral Researcher Advanced Photomixing Devices for Efficient Generation and Detection of THz Radiation
What you will do
Sensing and imaging with terahertz radiation has recently attracted growing interest for a wide scope of applications, owing to its benefits over other wavelengths of light, such as X-ray or infrared. The non-ionizing features of THz waves allow to penetrate many materials, making the technology suitable for non-destructive testing, multi-spectral biomedical imaging, food quality inspection, pharmaceutical testing and more.
As a post-doctoral researcher, you will drive the development and optimization of waveguide-based photomixing devices for efficient generation and detection of THz radiation (0.1-10THz). The main focus will be on the implementation of waveguide coupled, ultra-fast p-i-n and uni-traveling-carrier (UTC) photodiodes, by selective-area epitaxial growth of group IV or III-V semiconductors on silicon waveguides. In-depth TCAD simulations and modeling will be carried out in order to optimize and THz generation and detection performance. Next, the most promising designs will be implemented in imec’s wafer-scale silicon photonic (SiPh) technology platform, and in-house THz characterization will be performed to evaluate device performance and calibrate the models. Subsequently, the most promising designs will be implemented in fully functional THz imager prototypes, in collaboration with other teams in imec-Belgium and imec-USA.
Your responsibilities will be:
- Photomixer modeling and simulation (30%)
- Photomixer design and layout (25%)
- Photomixer characterization: electro-optical & THz (30%)
- Reporting to internal and external stakeholders (10%)
- Reporting to the scientific community at conferences or in scientific journals (5%)
What we do for you
We offer you the opportunity to join one of the world’s premier research centers in nanotechnology at its headquarters in Leuven, Belgium. With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow.
We are proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth.
We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a competitive salary.
Who you are
- You have obtained a Ph.D. of Science in Electrical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, or Engineering Physics
- We value your 3+ years of hands-on experience in designing, implementing and testing photomixing devices for THz. Experience with photonic integration is a plus but not required.
- We are looking for an enthusiastic team player, yet able to independently solve complex problems with limited supervision.
- Given the multicultural team you will work in, good knowledge of English is a must.
This postdoctoral position is funded by imec through KU Leuven. Because of the specific financing statute which targets international mobility for postdocs, only candidates who did not stay or work/study in Belgium for more than 24 months in the past 3 years can be considered for the position (short stays such as holiday, participation in conferences, etc. are not taken into account).