Postdoctoral Researcher High-Precision Flip-Chip Assembly of III-V Lasers for Silicon Photonics
Imec is the world-leading research and innovation hub in nanoelectronics and digital technologies. The combination of our widely acclaimed leadership in microchip technology and profound software and ICT expertise is what makes us unique. By leveraging our world-class infrastructure and local and global ecosystem of partners across a multitude of industries, we create groundbreaking innovation in application domains such as healthcare, smart cities and mobility, logistics and manufacturing, and energy.
As a trusted partner for companies, start-ups and universities we bring together close to 3,500 brilliant minds from over 70 nationalities. Imec is headquartered in Leuven, Belgium and also has distributed R&D groups at a number of Flemish universities, in the Netherlands, Taiwan, USA, China, and offices in India and Japan. All of these particular traits make imec to be a top-class employer. To strengthen this position as a leading player in our field, we are looking for those passionate talents that make the difference! Currently we are looking for a motivated Postdoctoral Researcher High-Precision Flip-Chip Assembly of III-V Lasers for Silicon Photonics.
Over the past several years, Silicon photonics (SiPh) has emerged as a highly prospective technology for realizing cost-effective Tb/s scale optical interconnects as well as emerging optical sensing applications. However, to fully unlock the potential of SiPh, a cost-effective process for integrating high-performance III-V laser dies into the SiPh platform needs to be developed. A key challenge is to realize sub-micron placement accuracy together with a high assembly throughput, which is a key requirement for high-volume manufacturing.
As a post-doctoral researcher, you will analyze flip-chip assembly process capabilities of the most advanced flip-chip bonding tools available in industry, specifically targeting III-V die to SiPh stacking through a series of design-of-experiments for in-depth process characterization. Next, you will be responsible for co-designing the III-V laser and SiPh interfaces to ensure high-quality and high-yield laser assembly within the constraints of the flip-chip process capability. Finally, you will contribute to the realization of fully functional prototypes in imec’s cleanroom and carry out testing and evaluation in imec’s labs. This position is available in the “3D and Optical Technologies” department in imec’s STS business unit. Part of this work will be carried out in collaboration with commercial III-V laser vendors and high-precision flip-chip tool vendors.
- Developing and analyzing high-precision flip-chip III-V laser die to SiPh assembly processes [35%]
- Modeling, design and layout of laser coupling interfaces in imec’s SiPh platform (optical/electrical/mechanical/thermal) [20%]
- Testing, evaluation and qualification of laser/SiPh assemblies (optical/electrical/mechanical/thermal) [30%]
- Reporting to internal and external stakeholders including imec’s partners and customers [10%]
- Reporting to the scientific community at conferences or in scientific journals [5%]
The ideal candidate has/is:
- Obtained a Ph.D. of Science in Electrical Engineering, Material Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering or Engineering Physics.
- 3+ years hands-on experience in packaging optoelectronic components and assemblies: flip-chip assembly, epoxies, bond pad/bump metallurgy, laser welding, die attach, wirebonding, etc.
- 2+ years hands-on experience with FEM modeling software
- Experience with SolidWorks mechanical design is a plus
- Lab experience with optical measurements and optical test equipment is desired
- Knowledge of semiconductor wafer processing is desired
- Experience with silicon photonics is a plus
- An enthusiastic team player, yet able to independently solve complex problems with limited supervision.
- Excellent English communication skills and willing to work in a multicultural environment.
This postdoctoral position is funded by imec through KU Leuven. Because of the specific financing statute which targets international mobility for postdocs, only candidates who did not stay or work/study in Belgium for more than 24 months in the past 3 years can be considered for the position (short stays such as holiday, participation in conferences, etc. are not taken into account).
We offer a challenging position for two years in an advanced high-tech environment and in an international, interdisciplinary team. Our flexible, progressive and informal working environment offers you a range of possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. This is your opportunity to contribute to the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow. imec supports and guides you in this process; not only with words but with concrete actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we offer various training possibilities. Your valuable contribution and that of your colleagues make imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of an attractive and competitive salary.