Postdoctoral Researcher Mid-IR Photonic Devices for Sensing Applications
What you will do
Spectroscopic sensing in the Mid Infrared wavelength region (Mid-IR, 2-12um) has recently attracted growing interest, owing to its potential for trace gas sensing in industrial, automotive, and life science applications. imec is currently developing a wafer-scale silicon photonic technology platform for the integration of waveguide based sensing devices in the Mid-IR. As a post-doctoral researcher, you will contribute to the development of this Mid-IR PIC technology with a focus on gas sensing applications. In a first objective, the sensing capability of silicon Mid-IR waveguides will be significantly improved, in part by reducing their propagation loss through design and process optimizations. In a second objective, the potential for monolithic integration of Mid-IR light sources and photodetectors will be explored, leveraging imec’s extensive know-how in hetero-epitaxial growth of III-V compound semiconductors on silicon.
Your responsibilities will be:
- Mid-IR photonic device characterization (40%)
- Mid-IR photonic device modeling, design and layout (30%)
- Lab and clean-room device fabrication (20%)
- Reporting to internal and external stakeholders (5%)
- Reporting to the scientific community at conferences or in scientific journals (5%)
What we do for you
We offer you the opportunity to join one of the world’s premier research centers in nanotechnology at its headquarters in Leuven, Belgium. With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow.
We are proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth.
We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a competitive salary.
Who you are
- You have obtained a Ph.D. of Science in Electrical Engineering or Engineering Physics
- We value your 3+ years of hands-on experience in characterization of Mid-IR photonic devices, 2+ years hands-on experience in clean-room fabrication of Mid-IR photonic devices and 2+ years’ experience in Mid-IR photonic device design and simulation. Experience with integrated (silicon) photonics is a plus.
- We are looking for an enthusiastic team player, yet able to independently solve complex problems with limited supervision.
- Given the multicultural team you will work in, good knowledge of English is a must.
This postdoctoral position is funded by imec through KU Leuven. Because of the specific financing statute which targets international mobility for postdocs, only candidates who did not stay or work/study in Belgium for more than 24 months in the past 3 years can be considered for the position (short stays such as holiday, participation in conferences, etc. are not taken into account).