Postdoctoral Researcher Radar and Imaging Sensor Fusion
Imec is the world-leading research and innovation hub in nanoelectronics and digital technologies. The combination of our widely acclaimed leadership in microchip technology and profound software and ICT expertise is what makes us unique. By leveraging our world-class infrastructure and local and global ecosystem of partners across a multitude of industries, we create groundbreaking innovation in application domains such as healthcare, smart cities and mobility, logistics and manufacturing, and energy.
As a trusted partner for companies, start-ups and universities we bring together close to 3,500 brilliant minds from over 70 nationalities. Imec is headquartered in Leuven, Belgium and also has distributed R&D groups at a number of Flemish universities, in the Netherlands, Taiwan, USA, China, and offices in India and Japan. All of these particular traits make imec to be a top-class employer. To strengthen this position as a leading player in our field, we are looking for those passionate talents that make the difference! Currently we are looking for a motivated postdoctoral researcher with significant experience in signal/image/video processing, pattern analysis and machine intelligence to join our sensor fusion team..
Imec has a substantial and growing program on millimeter-wave radar sensors. Our activities include the complete implementation in a CMOS SoC of the millimeter-wave front-end, ADC and high-speed digital part for the ranging, Doppler and angular processing. The so-called radar data cube produced by such radar must then be processed in a flexible high speed processor for functions of detection, tracking and ultimately classification. For smart applications or improved performance, radars together with cameras, observing the same scene, can be deployed. Their outputs are communicated to a sensor fusion platform where streams come together for further processing.
The job will consist in helping the team to develop algorithms for radar- and/or camera-based classification and sensor fusion. Fusion will be at the level of detection, localization, tracking and classification. This will be applied in different contexts including smart mobility, smart home/building, e-health and surveillance/security.
Next to the theoretical understanding, a crucial aspect will be to bridge the gap between theory, simulations and practical, small form factor and real-time implementations.
- You have a PhD degree in Electrical Engineering, with a strong background in machine learning and computer vision. Experience with radar signal processing and classification is a definitive plus.
- You are proficient in most of the following areas: stochastic signal processing, system identification, Kalman filters, estimation techniques (Bayesian estimation, least-squares, spectral estimation, super-resolution algorithms), image processing and machine learning (supervised and non-supervised classification, neural networks, deep learning, CNN).
- You have good knowledge of Matlab, Python and C/C++. Proficiency with Cuda is a strong advantage.
- You are familiar with the publications in IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence (ideally you have one or several accepted publications as first author in PAMI).
- You are a self-starter and a hands-on person.
- You have excellent communication and reporting skills.
- You can easily integrate in a multidisciplinary team.
- You are fluent in English.
This postdoctoral position is funded by imec through the KU Leuven. Because of the specific financing statute which targets international mobility for postdocs, only candidates who did not stay or work/study in Belgium for more than 24 months in the past 3 years can be considered for the position (short stays such as holiday, participation in conferences, etc. are not taken into account).
In exchange for your talent, passion and expertise, you will join a multicultural and high-tech company, with challenges there for the taking. Our flexible, progressive and informal working environment offers you a range of possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. This is your opportunity to contribute to the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow. imec supports and guides you in this process; not only with words but with concrete actions. Through imecAcademy, 'our corporate university', we are actively investing in the further development of all our employees to assure their technical and personal growth. Your valuable contribution and that of your colleagues make imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of an attractive and competitive salary with many fringe benefits.