Principal Optical Transceiver Design Engineer
What you will do
Our insatiable appetite for infotainment leads to ever bigger demands to transport data. Optical communication technology plays a key role in this transport. Chip to chip, rack to rack and long-haul communication systems all benefit from the benefit offered by photonic technology: massive bandwidth at great power efficiency. The trend is towards ever higher data rates and better power efficiency. The recent DARPA PIPES call targets an aggregate throughput of 1Pbps at 0.1pJ/bit energy consumption. Meanwhile, also standardization bodies such as IEEE and the industry driven OpenCompute Project are working towards 1Tbps systems and beyond.
Imec has developed a state-of-the-art silicon photonics technology. This technology has been at the basis of many high-speed optical transceivers in recent years. We are developing novel photonic transceiver architectures that can raise the bar in terms of data rate and power efficiency. As principal photonic optical transceiver design engineer, you will be responsible for the conception of such novel transceiver concepts optical transceivers. Your responsibilities include:Functional and architectural design of transceivers
- Functional and architectural design of transceivers
- Crafting the strategy for the photonic IC design team based on market inputs and foreseeable state of the art
- Setting up the photonic IC design infrastructure (tools, libraries, …)
- Initiating and Contributing to funded and bilateral projects
- Reporting to colleagues and clients
- Publishing in international journals and contributing to major conferences
- Hiring more team member
- Guiding internship/thesis students and potentially other team members
What we do for you
You will join an early stage start-up R&D design center for imec in the US. This is unique opportunity to shape our research, our teams, and impact the success and direction of our imec’s efforts to expand in the US Market. You will work with top researchers from imec and from our industry partners. We are a not for profit research institution where you can work across a variety of projects and topics. We work close to industry, so your expertise and efforts often convert to solutions that are widely utilized and make positive impacts in the world.
In exchange for your talent, passion and expertise, you will join an ambitious organization, with challenges there for the taking. Our flexible, progressive and informal working environment offers you a range of possibilities to take initiative. This is your opportunity to contribute to the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow. Your valuable contribution and that of your colleagues make imec a top player in its field. As befits a true world player, we offer you an attractive compensation package including medical dental and vision, and 401k with employer match to reward your drive, contributions and commitment.
Who you are
- Have a Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Photonics, Electronics or Physics. a PhD is strongly preferred. An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
- Have at 10 + years, of experience in silicon photonics design, ideally in a research environment
- Have demonstrated expertise in photonics design and/or electromagnetic wave propagation experience
- Have 10+ years of post education experience in silicon photonics design and system development. Experience and expertise in application fields such as optical transceivers, high-speed wireless systems are a must.
- Have 3+ years of experience leading or managing a team of technical peers into uncharted territory
- Experienced in the full chain of PIC development is including device specifications, simulation, design, fabrication, characterization, analysis, packaging, field operation are strongly preferred.
- Experienced in interfacing with PIC foundries
- Knowledgeable about both photonics and electronics is preferred
- Have a history of successful publications, patents or both.
- Can present your research effectively at conferences, to leadership and in other technical forums.
- Have excellent communication skills as you will be required to interface with internal and external customers
- Take initiative and work independently, while being part of a team
- Are pragmatic and hands on with a can-do attitude
- Have experience working in R&D environments with globally diverse teams
- You are able to travel domestically and internationally up to 15% of the time