As a Principal Photonics IC Design Engineer, you will be responsible for the functional and architectural design of photonic imaging systems for bio-medical, automotive and industrial applications.
Senior Principal Photonics IC Design Engineer, R&D
What you will do
- Craft the strategy for the silicon photonics design team based on market inputs and foreseeable state of the art technologies.
- Set up the silicon photonics design infrastructure (tools, libraries, …).
- Design, layout and characterization of photonic building blocks, circuits and systems for photonics integrated circuit designs.
- Improve and optimize the existing design methodologies and procedures.
- Contribute to funded and bilateral projects from their definition through their execution.
- Report progress and research activities to both colleagues and clients.
- Publish your novel research in international journals and contribute to major conferences.
- Hire more team members.
- Guide and coach internship/thesis students and more junior team members.
What we do for you
Integrated photonic sensors now receive a lot of attention for a wide spectrum of applications. In analogy to electronic integrated circuits, photonic integrated circuits combine and miniaturize optical functions, such as (laser) sources and detectors and filters, on a chip. Such photonic integrated circuits, mass manufactured at high quality using optical lithography and etching, are already commonly applied in optical fiber communication networks that form the basis of the internet.
Imec has developed a state-of-the-art technology in its CMOS-fab that enables the fabrication of integrated photonic chips on a large scale in a cost-effective way. Using this technology, successful sensors for telecom, industrial and biomedical applications have already been developed. They promise to revolutionize the application domains in which they are being deployed.
We offer you a challenging position in an advanced high-tech research environment, in an international team. This is your opportunity to contribute to technologies that will have an impact on tomorrow’s society.
Who you are
- You have a Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Photonics, Electronics or Physics. a PhD is strongly preferred.
- You have at 10 + years, of experience in silicon photonics design, ideally in a research environment.
- You have demonstrated expertise in photonics design and/or electromagnetic wave propagation experience.
- You have at least three years of experience leading or managing a team of technical peers into uncharted territory in a research setting.
- You have a solid record of leading research efforts that produce novel results including papers and patents.
- You show excellent communication skills as you will be required to interface with internal and external customers.
- You are able to take initiative and work independently, while being part of a team.
- You are able to think of and execute new approaches that support novel ideas and technological developments.
- You have good programming skills and can quickly take up software and libraries.
- You are pragmatic and hands on with a can do attitude.
- You have experience and enjoy working in R&D environments.
- You have the ability to communicate with international teams.