Principal Simulation Infrastructure Architect
What you will do
The Compute System Architecture (CSA) unit at imec desires to build zetta-scale AI/HPC hardware and software solutions co-designed. We are backed by a broad in-house R&D expertise, creating a new AI computing paradigm that will move the industry forward for many years to come. Designed in tune with advanced silicon geometry, novel communication technology, our architecture provides high-performance AI computing solution in reliability, security, and power consumption at scale. We analyze emerging usage models, build hardware and software prototypes for data-driven computing hardware capable of zetta-scale performance.
CSA is looking for a principal simulation infrastructure architect for performance modeling research group. With you, we are going to launch the microprocessor with high computing power and energy efficiency that will enable imec to assert its leadership and technological independence in strategic applications for next generation applications such as AI model training, HPC, drug discovery and metaverse processing.
A key part of the CSA unit’s strength are our sophisticated development tools and simulation environments that enable our incredible pace of delivering new technology to market. We are looking for forward-thinking, and creative professionals to join a multifaceted software team with high production quality standards. This role involves crafting the compute system simulation infrastructure to enable large-scale runs of top applications, automating key performance indictors used to focus our areas of investment, and developing workflows to debug application behavior on simulations.
In this position, you engineer and improve the core infrastructure for execution, automation, and debugging the development of large-scale, HPC/AI compute system capable of running relevant application workloads. This infrastructure enables our driver stack, applications, tests, and studies to run unchanged on all functional, diagnostic, and performance models, and on simulations, emulations, and silicon prototyping.
- Lead microarchitecture development and specification of hardware IP specs - From early high-level architectural exploration, through micro-architectural research and arriving at a detailed specification.
- Develop new environments and automation to scale up application execution on CPU/GPU simulations for Linux and other platforms
- Become the recognized expert for SW application execution directly on simulated GPUs in diverse environments
- Instrument and render metrics to analyze simulation functional coverage and collaborate with teams across the company to improve
- Develop workflows to provide early and measurable insight into simulation failures
- Ilmprove the daily workflows of the performance modeling engineer, micro-architects and help to produce next greatest generation of HPC/AI hardware!
- Analyze SoTA intellectual property and participate in activities related to protecting intellectual property
- Collaborate and create networks with different functional teams.
What we do for you
We offer you the opportunity to join one of the world’s premier research centers in nanotechnology at its headquarters in Leuven, Belgium. With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will define the society of tomorrow.
We are committed to being an inclusive employer (http://www.imec-int.com/en/careers#diversity) and proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. In everything we do, your future colleagues are guided by the imec values of passion, excellence, connectedness and integrity. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth.
We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a market appropriate salary with many fringe benefits.
This is an opportunity to help define and drive imec’s system architecture roadmap to build the AI technology of the near and far away future.
Who you are
- BS/MS or PhD degree in Computer Sc or Computer Engineer.
- 10+ years of SoC micro-architecture and design experience.
- Experience with architectural simulation development environments (C/C++ based).
- Strong build and release process experience.
- Strong Python and shell programming capability.
- Knowledge of object-oriented design patterns.
- Flexibility for working in an evolving environment with different frameworks and requirements.
- Understanding of development and use of REST APIs.
- Experience deploying and/or using containers.
- Proven understanding of compute farm schedulers and environments.
- You understand the software driver stack, either in compute (CUDA) or graphics (DX, OpenGL, or Vulkan).
- Aptitude to work across the GPU, driver, and application stacks.
- You work in a structured, transparent, and accurate way.
- You are a constructive team player and actively share experience and knowledge with colleagues.
- Your networking skills, creativity, persistence, and passion for what you do are highly valued.
- We are looking for your excellent communication skills in English, as you will work in a multicultural team and closely with our partners.