Program Director, THz Imaging Systems
Imec is the world-leading research and innovation hub in nanoelectronics and digital technologies, specializing in microchip technology and profound software, and ICT. We create groundbreaking innovation in application domains like healthcare, smart cities and mobility, logistics and manufacturing, and energy by leveraging our excellent infrastructure and global ecosystem of partners.
As a trusted partner for companies, start-ups, and universities, we bring together almost 3,500 brilliant minds from over 70 nationalities. Imec is headquartered in Leuven, Belgium and has distributed R&D groups at several Flemish universities, the Netherlands, Taiwan, USA, China, India, and Japan. We look for forward thinkers to ensure that we remain a leader in our field.
Currently, we are seeking a visionary and entrepreneurial R&D Program Director to drive research strategy for the THz imaging systems at our newest location in Kissimmee, FL, the imec USA Nanoelectronics Design Center is located at NeoCity (http://neocityfl.com/), which facilitates collaboration between our headquarters and U.S.-based semiconductor and system companies, universities, and research institutes. This imec location is focused on the R&D of high-speed electronics and photonics solutions and is initially offering IC design research for semiconductor-based solutions like mm-wave imaging, THz-imaging, 3D imaging systems, and a broad range of sensors.
Our R&D programs perform scientific and technological research for industrial clients. They include endeavors like enlarging and systematizing the knowledge base in science and technology, understanding the limitations of technology, finding solutions, and overcoming the limitations of technology. As the R&D Program Director for THz imaging systems, you will be responsible for leading R&D programs that span several technological and scientific domains. In this role, you will define the strategic direction of the R&D programs, create a technology roadmap, and guide the research strategy and program management to achieve the objectives of your programs. Additionally, you will monitor the timing and progress of the program, generate revenue, represent the program to the management team, and translate and support the client’s vision internally to imec.
- Drive the activities of new research projects in the areas of THz technologies
- Envision and develop technology roadmaps, setting the direction for research and development teams and program managers
- Be responsible for new research projects including all results and outcomes
- Leverage your knowledge of the technological direction of industry and your established network to foster new and visionary research projects for imec and our partners
- Build, inspire and lead the R&D team P&L responsibility for the program
- Work with both academia and industry partners to advance research topics
- Communicate project status, challenges and results to imec senior leadership through periodic meetings, reports, and presentations
- Interface with current and prospective imec partners in both a business and technical context through meetings, project updates, and presentations
- You have an advanced degree (ideally Ph.D.) in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Physics or another relevant discipline
- 10+ years of relevant research experience in high-speed electronics and / or photonics IC design
- You are a visionary and strategic thinker, capable of solving unique and complex problems that have a broad impact on the business
- You have expertise in the semiconductor industry and a proven network of trusted industry partners
- You have excellent communication and presentation skills with the ability to present compelling technical and business proposals to all levels of imec and external client partners
- You demonstrate leadership and are committed to taking full ownership of the ideation of research projects, fulfillment, and outcomes
- You have experience building, managing, and leading successful technical teams
- You have the knowledge, vision, and persistence to bring projects from idea to fruition
- You have successfully managed a budget, including P&L in the million dollars plus range
- Given the international character of imec, a fluent knowledge of English is necessary, and fluency in other languages is a plus
Imec is a multicultural, international company with plenty of challenges for the taking. Our flexible, progressive, and informal working environment allows endless opportunities for you to develop technology that is shaping the society of tomorrow. The valuable contributions that our teams make have positioned imec as a top influencer in our field, so we actively invest in your development so that you can continue your technical and personal growth. In exchange for your energy and commitment, we offer a competitive salary and benefits package.