Program Manager Life sciences and Medical device technologies
imec’s Life Science Technologies department
Within imec’s Life Science Technologies department, our group’s research activities focus on the development of novel chip based tools for health care applications. Current projects vary from DNA sequencing, organ-on-a-chip systems and PCR devices to neuroprobes, implantables and photonic sensing and spectroscopy devices. Such technologies require a multidisciplinary approach within a team that has expertise in system engineering, microfluidics, photonics and biology. We are looking for an enthusiastic and multidisciplinary skilled senior person eager to shape tomorrow’s health care technologies. We aim at research and development at the highest international level and with direct relevance for the medical, life sciences and pharmaceutical industry.
What you will do
The Life Science team in Leuven enjoys a world-class reputation in building next generation chips for medical and diagnostic industries. We have a vertical approach around chip based technologies: our expertise ranges from chip design, manufacturing, functional testing, biology validation even up to algorithms and system integration. We help our industrial partners shorten their time to market and strengthen their product offering with our innovative chip concepts.
As program manager you will need to bridge multiple technology disciplines and have a three-fold role: technical roadmap definition, technical project definition, and supporting the business development and customer relations. For technical roadmap definition, you will attend external technical events and customer meetings, report back to the management team and develop a development roadmap in close interaction with program director and our experts. For project definition, you will define the key milestones and deliverables together with partners for an industry-driven development as well as funded grants in order to drive the technical teams towards timely delivery within available budget. For business development, you will work with the business development manager and public funded manager to continuously scout for new partners ensuring a solid future revenue stream. You will report internally to the program director and externally to our customers.
Your responsibilities are:
- Supporting the strategy and roadmap definition of the life science and medical device programs;
- Interfacing with industrial partners to understand their product requirement and translate into project plans.
- Transforming roadmaps and requirements into operational plans including staffing and budgeting in consultation with experts.
- Reporting to the industrial partners and translating their specification and vision to the internal organization, building and maintaining a strong relation with the partners;
- Systematically capturing, reporting and acting on partner feedback;
- Supporting the business development manager and public funding manager in the creation of business propositions & project proposals;
- Help to achieve quantitative revenue & budget targets.
What we do for you
We offer you the opportunity to join one of the world’s premier research centers in nanotechnology at its headquarters in Leuven, Belgium. With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow.
We are proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth.
We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a competitive salary with many fringe benefits.
Who you are
You have relevant experience in at least two technical disciplines (microfluidics, biosensors, medical devices). You have some experience with either project management or proposal writing and you are eager to complete your expertise on the job. You have the required technical expertise to the level that you can independently represent the program internally and externally and collect and translate specifications into new technical proposals. You are a team worker and you recognize that reality requires to consolidate different views. You are motivated by deep and frequent contacts with current and future customers, in order to develop a deep understanding of their needs and the value our team can bring.
To qualify for this challenging position, you:
- Are passionate about innovation;
- Have a technical background in two or more key fields (biosensors, microfluidics, medical devices);
- Have a PhD in a relevant field
- Have at least 5 year relevant industrial or advanced development experience;
- Have experience in project management and/or proposal writing. This includes collection of information, logical ordering of ideas and milestones. Building execution plans, powerpoints and written technical annexes.
- Have demonstrated presentation and relation skills towards customers.
- Is a responsible and credible team player with a strong drive for growing the program;
- Have excellent communication skills in English;
- Enjoy working in a multi-disciplinary and cross-cultural team;
- Are ready to travel approximately 5 times per year