Program Manager MEMS systems
What you will do
Imec’s Sensors and Actuators Technology department is developing novel process technologies, devices, circuits and solutions to enable new applications. In this growing R&D activity, we are currently looking for an R&D program manager to lead our microsystems activity. Focus will be on acoustic, and in particular ultrasound, transducers with optical read out or produced in large area, i.e. in display fab environment. As representative example of the latter, you can here read about haptic technology
based on our ultrasound transducer technology platforms
As program manager you will have the responsibility to define and manage the research roadmap on microsystem technologies addressing multiple physical domains, e.g. P-sensors, T-sensors,... , specifically for acoustics, e.g. ultrasound transducers, and grow the project portfolio. Furthermore, you will also have project management responsibility. You will actively engage with customers (from public and private sectors) to understand the system needs, from which you will derive the required technology developments. You will capture the trends and future industry needs, that you will use to update our research roadmap. You will work closely together with the business development team and public funded projects team to maintain a clear R&D offering and support business development, ensuring a solid future revenue stream. You will be the interface between the customers, business and technical teams, and you will be responsible for timely execution and delivery in projects.
Your responsibilities are:
- Set the vision and roadmap for the ultrasound microsystems program by intake of voice of customer from industry and understanding of future markets; Derive the required future technology developments based on these insights; Continuously benchmark the program with respect to the state of the art; Ensure that the program is aligned with the broader business strategy and imec core technology strengths;
- Work with the business teams to pitch R&D offerings to customers; Understand customer requests and map them onto our internal competences & offerings; Drive project proposal preparations and discussions together with the technical teams;
- Work with a multi-disciplinary team of technical leaders and scientists to drive innovation, as well as deliver customer projects;
- Maintain a 360-degree perspective and keep updated on projects and program scopes, schedules, costs, quality, communication and deliverables;
- Develop positive relationships across teams and business units to ensure strong cooperation and open communication;
- Build and ensure alignment across technology, systems and business teams, within the department and across the imec organization;
- Identify, track, manage and communicate risks and issues with stakeholders and senior management;
- Market your R&D offerings and technologies: write press announcements, present at conferences, showcase prototypes and demonstrators in exhibitions.
What we do for you
We offer you the opportunity to join one of the world’s premier research centers in nanotechnology at its headquarters in Leuven, Belgium. With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow.
We are proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth.
We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a competitive salary with many fringe benefits.
Who you are
You have a broad view and good technical understanding of sensing & actuation technologies and applications, in particular of acoustic (ultrasound) microsystems technologies, systems and applications. You have experience in driving collaboration, setting up and executing projects in multi-disciplinary, cross-functional and multi-stakeholders setting. You are a solid planner. You can handle ambiguity yourself and also motivate and steer the teams through it. You are motivated by deep and frequent contacts with current and future customers. You can convincingly present the program contents internally and externally.
To qualify for this challenging, yet exciting position, you:
- Are passionate about innovation and can inspire and align team members to drive & deliver innovation as well customer projects;
- Have a PhD degree (minimum a Master’s degree) or equivalent experience in Electronics Engineering or Nano-science/nano-technology
- Have a strong technical background in the field of sensors & actuator technologies, preferably on acoustic (ultrasound) microsystems; you have solid understanding of the corresponding applications and markets;
- Have about 10 years of relevant experience; Experience in an R&D management role or a business (management) position is a plus;
- Have about 5 years of relevant project management experience. You are organized and you can structure a complex multi-partner project; Experience in writing public-funded projects is a plus.
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills, with excellent command of English that you will use to interface with internal and external partners, customers and stakeholders;
- Demonstrate a clear sense of ownership with a strong drive for growing your program’s impact and business;
- Enjoy working in multi-disciplinary and cross-cultural teams;
- Willingness and ability to travel internationally are required