Program Manager Solid-State Batteries
What you will do
Imec’s energy storage team is developing all-solid-state Li-ion batteries with high energy density, short charging time, long lifetime and intrinsically safe. Today, the research is focused on development of novel material systems and cell concepts for solid-state batteries. As next step, we intend to scale up these concepts, work on stacks, and integrate them into pouch cells. In the future, appropriate battery management systems will also to be investigated.
To further grow this research activity, we are currently looking for an R&D program manager. As program manager you will have mainly the responsibility to grow the project portfolio and manage the research roadmap. Furthermore, you will also have project management responsibility. You will actively engage with customers to understand the market needs and capture the trends and future industry needs, that will be used to update our research roadmap. You will work closely with the business development manager and public funded project manager to maintain a clear offering in R&D projects, and you will continuously scout for new partners, ensuring a solid future revenue stream. You will be the communication channel to customers, and you will be responsible for timely execution and delivery in projects.
Your responsibilities are:
- Managing the project portfolio on solid-state batteries and following-up on the program workplans; Following-up on projects with customers, ensuring timely deliveries within budget with high quality standards to guarantee partner satisfaction.
- Taking up a leading role in the definition of new customer projects, ensuring close alignment with the technical experts.
- Systematically capturing, reporting and acting on feedback of our R&D partners and customers.
- Communicating vision and roadmap: explaining the program content internally and externally.
- Contribute to our R&D roadmap by intake of feedback from industry and understanding of future markets; continuously benchmarking the program with respect to the state of the art.
- Contribute to the operational plans, by formulating technology needs together with the technical experts, starting from the understanding of future demands and products.
- Supporting the business development manager and public funding manager in the creation of business propositions & project proposals.
- Facilitating program outreach, writing press announcements, creating information packages, organizing demonstrations at booths.
What we do for you
We offer you the opportunity to join one of the world’s premier research centers in nanotechnology at its headquarters in Leuven, Belgium. With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow.
We are proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility.
We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth.
We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a competitive salary with many fringe benefits.
Who you are
You have a broad view and good technical understanding of electrochemical energy storage, such that you can present the program contents internally and externally. You have solid experience in planning and executing R&D projects. You have relevant experience in roadmap definition. You are a solid planner, but you recognize that in reality, R&D projects require flexibility in the execution of the plans. You are motivated by deep and frequent contacts with current and future customers.
To qualify for this challenging position, you:
- Are passionate about innovation;
- Have a PhD degree (minimum a Master’s degree) or equivalent experience in Chemistry or Technology;
- Have a technical background in the field of electrochemical storage; Expertise in cell integration and upscaling are a strong plus;
- Demonstrate solid understanding of the future battery market;
- Have about 10 years of relevant experience; Experience in an R&D management role or a business (management) position is a plus;
- Have about 5 years of relevant project management experience; You are organized and you can structure a complex project; Experience in writing public-funded projects is a plus;
- Have excellent communication skills, that you will use to interface with internal and external customers;
- Have a relevant international network of companies, research institutes and/or academia;
- Demonstrate a clear sense of ownership with a strong drive for growing your program;
- Have excellent command of English;
- Enjoy working in a multi-disciplinary and cross-cultural team;
- Are ready to travel abroad approximately 4 times per year, and weekly to imec’s EnergyVille campus in Genk.