Program Manager Systems Design
What you will do
Your work is at the cross roads of advanced R&D, project execution and business development. You will be responsible for a R&D program that creates innovative solutions for board level systems which build on imec and 3rd party technology innovations. In this role, you implement the Systems & Solutions vision for the future in practical project proposals, define the required workplans and resources, and take the lead in achieving the challenging objectives and deliverables. You are also responsible for monitoring the quality and progress of the program. You are inspiring the team and you energize internal and external clients with your knowledge and expertise. Whereas imec has already built up a track record in many application areas, there are a great deal of untapped opportunities, for example but not limited to Process Analytic Technologies. It is your challenge to broaden the department activities in these areas to reach the highest potential.
In this job, your main tasks will be:
- Together with the research teams, you define the requirements for Systems & Solutions projects that aim to increase the value proposition of imec technology through demonstration platforms, TRL uplift of research results or system design projects. Requests can come through the business development managers from internal imec or external clients.
- Consolidate technical requirements, write project proposals, create business propositions for project collaboration, define the high-level project plan, act as the lead initiator in the concept phase and set the direction.
- Act as a bridge and proactively drive cross-team, cross-site collaboration (Belgium and Taiwan) for those tasks that the team can bring value: design of integrated systems (electronics, mechanics, photonics, firmware, software), rapid prototyping, design and manufacturing and supply chain setup.
- Conceptualize the innovative system and novel methods and break it down into workpackages and development tracks.
- Define the approach to de-risk the main project challenges and communicate the de-risking progress to all stakeholders and management.
- Specify the needed skills and human resources for project execution, align with resource owners or RD managers in Leuven and Hsinchu to effectively appoint these resources to the project(s). Understand the capabilities and limitations of the available human resources.
- Setup the structure of the virtual x-site team. Work with external partners where needed.
- Define system architecture, architectural components, the TRL level they are currently in, and the effort needed to bring these components to a higher TRL level. Define the steps needed and approach that leads to a minimum viable product (MVP).
- Keep abreast with latest trends in relevant advanced technologies in systems and board level design.
- Based on inputs from business development, from customer discussions and from the R&D community and your own vision, you synthesize a shared vision and translate that into a clear project and value proposition.
- Work together with the business development manager to contribute to value propositions using the voice of the customer.
- Take ownership to maintain the close follow-up of projects in your portfolio. Drive daily interactions where needed and closely follow-up with the RD Manager.
- Plan, document, and follow-up the Program on a global or detailed level
- Guarantee the quality of the activities.
- You take the lead in the project initiation phase, from a content perspective, until the R&D project leader takes over the day-to-day project execution (in case of larger projects).
- You act as the lead technical Architect for those projects showing a high degree of complexity or who cater to the need for your expert competences.
- Work closely with the R&D Manager to define competence gaps, skills and resources needed to realize the objectives of the program.
- Represent the program: to senior management, and important internal or external events.
- Projects can be around various IOT sensor solutions, imaging, wearables, systems for lifesciences or in-line process analytics.
What we do for you
We offer you the opportunity to join one of the world’s premier research centers in nanotechnology at its headquarters in Leuven, Belgium. With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow.
We are proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth.
We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a competitive salary with many fringe benefits.
Who you are
- A PhD or MsC in electrical engineering.
- At least 15 years of working experience for a Product design or Systems design or Chip design service company, in a role as systems architect, product manager or technical business development manager.
- Familiar with highly integrated electronic systems, complex board level designs, highly integrated wearables.
- Being able to structure large amounts of data, requirements and opinions and set directions.
- Familiar with project management (eg PMP or Scrum certified).