Project Leader Photonic Sensor Systems
What you will do
Silicon photonics is a rapidly maturing field that holds a large potential for the implementation of a broad variety of miniaturized photonic sensing systems, especially in the field of life science and medicine. In such systems the photonic sensing chip needs to be co-integrated or co-packaged with bio-functional layers, with micro-fluidics, with micro-optics and with micro-electronics to allow for proof-of-concept demonstration for a given application case. The Photonics Research Group of Ghent University – imec is working on a variety of sensing concepts for the detection or monitoring of biological processes and medical conditions as well as the detection of gases. Part of this work is conducted in the context of the European pilot line project PIXAPP (pixapp.eu) on upscaling of advanced packaging for photonic ICs and in the context of an ERC Proof-of-concept project on gas sensing. The group also works in collaboration with clinical teams. In order to strengthen the team, we are looking for a senior engineer (postdoc level) to lead our projects on the implementation of complete sensing systems based on silicon or silicon nitride photonic ICs and their application-oriented deployment.
You will be working together with end-user partners and with technology providers to design, implement and test complete sensing systems around a photonic IC. This will encompass the translation of the sensing application into specifications and requirements of the different parts, the optical coupling to the chip, the integration with microfluidics and the interfacing to electronics.
You will have a leading role in such projects and will coordinate the interaction with the different partners.
You will develop a solid understanding of the field of silicon photonics (design, technology, eco-system) so as to be able to define new sensing projects based on photonic ICs. You proactively explore novel opportunities for miniaturized optical sensors.
You will interact with end-users and be able to understand their needs and their language and translate those into miniaturized sensing solutions.
What we do for you
We offer an extendable position of 1 year in the Photonics Research Group, imec’s associated lab at Ghent University.
With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow. We are proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth. We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a competitive salary with many fringe benefits.
Who you are
- You have a PhD in sensing technology or applications, or equivalent expertise.
- You have a broad background in optics and photonics. Experience with integrated photonic approaches or optical assembly and packaging methods is a plus.
- You have experience with optical sensing approaches, in particular for life science applications. You have a good basic understanding of electronic instrumentation and of microfluidics. You have programming skills. Knowledge of Python is a plus.
- Preferably you have project management skills.
- You have a strong interest to acquire in-depth knowledge about photonic IC concepts and about silicon photonics in general.
- You possess strong verbal and written English communication skills allowing you to effectively communicate with industrial and academic partners, also those that are not experts in photonics and photonic integrated circuits.