R&D Engineer Embedded Systems for Healthcare
What you will do
Your primary role will be to develop miniature electronic systems in a lean and agile manner. These developments will range from early feasibility studies and proof-of-concepts, over application demonstrators, all the way to (medical device) product development. You will be responsible for developing complete systems starting from idea and ending with implementation and validation.
- At first, you translate ideas and application-level requirements into suitable architectures and design requirements. Based on this, you design analog and mixed-signal PCBs (schematic entry and layout).
- For control and interfacing you develop microcontroller firmware and/or employ FPGAs.
- You verify your designs in experimental bench-top measurement setups. Also, you perform initial application validation and small-scale trials. On top of this, you design and implement test environments for sensitive, high-performance biomedical circuits. This includes acquisition and visualization software.
- You develop application demonstrators. Using Matlab and/or Python, you develop signal analysis scripts. Based on hardware you designed, you perform experimental feasibility studies.
- You contribute to R&D projects for customers, ensuring that your designs adhere to the appropriate medical device and quality standards.
What we do for you
Imec has a strong experience and background in leading-edge circuit and system development for healthcare and life science applications. We are continuously looking at innovative solutions for existing as well as new application domains. We have a strong track record in vital signs recording with high medical-grade quality on or in the human body. Our team focuses primarily on high-performance, ultra-low-power and miniaturized analog sensor readout circuits with embedded signal processing and analysis. So this job will allow you to be at the forefront of healthcare innovation.
In exchange for your talent, passion and expertise, you will join a multicultural and high-tech company, with challenges there for the taking. Our flexible, progressive and informal working environment offers you a range of possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. This is your opportunity to contribute to the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow. imec supports and guides you in this process; not only with words but with concrete actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we are actively investing in the further development of all our employees to assure their technical and personal growth. Your valuable contribution and that of your colleagues make imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of an attractive and competitive salary with many fringe benefits.
Who you are
- You have a master degree in electronics engineering or industrial engineering with preferably 5 years of relevant experience. Your good knowledge of analog and digital circuit design concepts is valuable for this job. Experience with CAD tools for PCB schematic entry and layout is essential. You also have good knowledge of test and measurement of analog and digital circuits. Experience with medical device development is a plus.
- You have a strong sense of ownership for the complete project. The exciting challenges will allow you to learn and expand your skills.
- You'll work with a dedicated team of colleagues who care. Together, you'll make products that may improve the quality of life of many.
- Your problem-solving mindset and hands-on attitude makes you capable of debugging and patching issues. Your pragmatic approach helps you in achieving results.
- Working in an international environment sounds exciting to you. You communicate fluently in English.
- Finally, you have at least a basic knowledge of:
- VHDL or Verilog
- uControllers and firmware development
- C, C#, including for embedded applications (microcontrollers)
- industry standard interface protocols (SPI, I2C, UART, ...)
- data analysis software and instrument control such as Matlab and Labview
- ISO13485 and IEC 60601
- FDA regulation and CE marking regulation