R&D Engineer in Cell Assembly of Solid-State Li-ion Batteries
What you will do
Your responsibilities will include:
- technology development required for cell assembly of solid-state Li-ion cells
- upscaling of the cell assembly technology in a pilot line
- maintaining relationships with tool and material vendors
- testing of the solid-state pouch cells
- quality and safety control
- regular and thorough reporting to line management and industrial partners
You will be mainly located in imec’s new battery lab in EnergyVille, Genk.
What we do for you
Imec’s energy storage team is developing solid-state Li-ion batteries with high energy density, short charging time, long lifetime and intrinsically safe. In this growing R&D activity, we are currently looking for an R&D engineer for the cell assembly of solid-state Li-ion pouch cells from 100mAh to 1Ah. In this regard, we are developing new assembly schemes to stack several of double-coated electrode foils efficiently and compatible with the integration of a new in-house developed solid-state electrolyte. The challenge lays in the adaptation of existing assembly tools in collaboration with equipment vendors.
In exchange for your talent, passion and expertise, you will join a multicultural and high-tech company, with challenges there for the taking. Our flexible, progressive and informal working environment offers you a range of possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. This is your opportunity to contribute to the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow. imec supports and guides you in this process; not only with words but with concrete actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we are actively investing in the further development of all our employees to assure their technical and personal growth. Your valuable contribution and that of your colleagues make imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of an attractive and competitive salary with many fringe benefits.
Who you are
We are looking for candidates who have experience in cell assembly of large Li-ion pouch cell, either standard cells with liquid electrolytes and more preferable with polymer-based or ionogel electrolytes. Furthermore, you are a self-motivated engineer, who seizes opportunities and is enthused by new challenges.
- You have a Master’s degree in engineering, or equivalent by experience.
- You have experience in cell assembly of Li-ion pouch cells.
- You have experience with testing the performance and safety of Li-ion cells.
- You take initiative and work independently, while being part of a team.
- You can schedule your work according to deadlines and deliverables.
- You are creative and like to think with the scientists to solve problems.
- You are result-driven and can meet stringent deadlines with quality output.
- You are flexible to accept new challenges in the future, and to evolve together with the changing R&D demands of our high-tech environment.
- The imec environment requires a good team player with competent communication and reporting skills. Given the international character of imec a good knowledge of English is mandatory.