Radar based musical instrument Intern (Summer)
What you will do
Imec-USA is looking for a master or PhD level student intern. In this role you will work on a computational imaging project to build an imager based on Radar sensors and inferences from musical notes and pieces. The theremin is an electronic musical instrument controlled without physical contact by the performer. It is essentially a proximity sensor (which was its initial functionality) and produces music by modulating pitch and volume as the body and hands of the performer become part of the resonating circuits of the device. You will make a musical instrument using several 79GHz automotive radars! Radar imaging is enabled through measurement of the object response by multiple radars. But each individual Radar also measures the temporal response of the object. Through a combination of spatial and temporal measurements music can be composed. The composed music is itself a new signal that describes the current status of the surrounding environment. Depending on the quality and uniqueness of this signal, you can interpret it as a feature vector, that can be used to train a machine learning algorithm to solve problems like gesture/action recognition, object identification, posture, scene awareness, or similar.
Your responsibilities include:
- Selecting the automotive radar development boards to use for this project.
- Build the prototype device using the development boards.
- Extracting and synthesizing the signals to music.
- Perform relevant data collections.
- Analyzing the signals and music that is produced as a function of gestures or scene dynamics.
- Work with our deep learning expert to train a network to recognize gestures and other scene dynamics from the corresponding musical pieces and signals.
- Lead or help lead a corresponding publication about the work.
What we do for you
In exchange for your talent, passion and expertise, you will join an ambitious organization, with challenges there for the taking. This internship offers you the opportunity to work for imec, a globally recognized leader in high frequency electronics design. With the guidance of senior researchers, you will participate in a full design cycle. You will have an assigned mentor to guide you through this highly valuable, hands on learning experience. You will work with top researchers from imec and from our industry partners. We are a not for profit research institution where you can work across a variety of projects and topics. We work close to industry, so your expertise and efforts often convert to solutions that are widely utilized and make positive impacts in the world. Our progressive and informal working environment offers you a range of possibilities to take initiative. This is your opportunity to contribute to the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow. Your valuable contribution and that of your colleagues make imec a top player in its field.
Who you are
- Currently enrolled in or a recent graduate from a relevant Master’s or PhD program in a top university in a relevant discipline such as Photonics, Electronics or Physics.
- Experience tinkering with microprocessor and/or FPGA development boards.
- Experience with software programming.
- Experience with signals, conditioning, acquisition, and processing.
- Experience applying mathematical concepts to physical phenomena.
- Experience with radar systems is a plus.
- Highly motivated to work in a research environment.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work in a multidisciplinary team.
It is the policy of imec to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants without regard to unlawful considerations of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, genetic information, age, disability, medical condition, marital status, military or veteran status or any other classification protected by applicable local, state or federal laws. This policy applies to all aspects of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, job assignment, compensation, promotion, benefits, training, discipline and termination. Reasonable accommodations of disability and religion are available for qualified individuals, upon request, provided that such accommodation does not present an undue hardship to imec.