Researcher in Atom Probe Tomography for Semiconductor Materials and Devices
What you will do
The materials and component analysis department (MCA) is an expertise center within the Imec organization with a two-fold objective:
- to support the device, materials, process and technology developments within imec by providing a metrology service enabling process control and fundamental understanding of these developments.
- to continuously improve existing and/or develop new metrology concepts by exploring the underlying physics, developing new instrumental concepts and advanced metrology approaches.
Its portfolio covers the entire range of advanced characterization tools such as TEM, (TOF)SIMS, XPS, SPM, Raman, RBS,.. The omnipresence of 3D-structures also stimulated the adoption of Atom probe tomography (APT) in view of spatial resolution and sensitivity.
The complexity of nanoscaled semiconducting devices implies that the application of APT is far from routine and severe issues are encountered related to sample preparation, sample yield, local magnifications effects, trajectory aberrations, reconstruction artefacts, quantification accuracy, laser-tip interactions etc. To address those aspects, we are looking for an APT expert with thorough fundamental understanding and wide ranging practical experience.
More concretely you will:
- Develop and optimize atom probe analysis routines for applications in semiconductor industry.
- Work on all aspects including sample preparation, measurements, data analysis and reporting.
- Investigate the fundamental phenomena underlying the APT analysis and their impact on the results.
- Work according to agreed timelines and report on progress internally and to customers.
- Work efficiently in a multidiscipline environment with engineers and scientists.
- Support students and our APT research program.
- Publish your work in conferences and journals.
What we do for you
We offer you the opportunity to join one of the world’s premier research centers in nanotechnology at its headquarters in Leuven, Belgium. With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow.
We are proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth.
We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a competitive salary with many fringe benefits.
Who you are
- You have a Master’s with relevant working experience (> 5 years) or a PhD degree in Physics, Engineering, Nanotechnology, Semiconductor technologies or equivalent. A strong knowledge of optics, laser-matter interaction is an asset.
- We appreciate your background in semiconductor physics and process technology, in a R&D environment, and/or your familiarity with other advanced microscopy techniques including TEM and/or FIM.
- We are looking for your extensive hands-on experience in APT sample preparation using FIB, APT measurements and data analysis. Expertise with heterogeneous/multilayer systems, confined volumes and/or nano-structures are an additional asset.
- We value your proven track-record of APT fundamentals, 3D data reconstruction and/or artefacts in APT.
- We enjoy your initiative and independent work attitude, while being part of a team.
- Since you will be working in a highly international environment and will be maintaining a good contact with colleagues and co-workers from all over the world, fluency in English is essential.