Researcher life science technologies
We are all producing more and more digital data and the storage capacities of conventional media like hard drives and magnetic tapes are hitting their physical limits. In answer to this escalating data storage problem truly novel storage methodologies are needed. For a recently started, truly multidisciplinary activity related to DNA-inspired memory, we are looking for an enthusiastic colleague with a background in electrochemistry. DNA has an enormous potential in view of potential storage density, but for DNA-inspired memory to become reality, the control, speed and throughput of DNA write and read need to be largely improved. A critical step in current DNA writing mechanisms is the protection and deprotection of acid-labile protective groups. To further control and increase density of this step, new methods for the site-specific delivery of protons are being explored. In this field and taking advantage of CMOS scaling technologies, we believe that novel, innovative solutions will result from the combination of expertise available in multiple domains including molecular biology, electrochemistry, electrical engineering, and microfluidics.
What you will do
- Define and optimize design of experiments, independently performs tests in the lab, interpret and report results;
- Assemble, modify, calibrate and operate equipment and setups required to perform your experimental work;
- Collect, analyze and report scientific data leading to valid conclusions and keep abreast of cutting-edge methodology in the areas of metalhydride electrochemistry, proton conducting electrolytes, ion intercalation and solid state electrochemistry in general.
- Planning and manage time effectively: you work according to aggressive project schedules and you quickly adapt to new project requirements.
- Proactively reach out to and engage with other experts internally and externally to find constructive solutions
- Report to your team members and higher management on a topic that is of strategic importance to the organization.
- Develop new and widely-applicable skills at the forefront and cross-section of life science and semiconductor technologies.
What we do for you
- We offer you the opportunity to join one of the world’s premier research centers in nanotechnology at its headquarters in Leuven, Belgium. With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow.
- We are proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth.
- We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a competitive salary with many fringe benefits.
Who you are
- You have a PhD in electrochemistry or equivalent discipline with preferably a strong experience in proton-related electrochemical systems or hydrogen storage. Persons having a master’s degree and several years of relevant experience will also be considered.
- Prior experience in DNA synthesis, surface chemistry or solid state batteries is considered an asset.
- You are driven to work in a research environment and have a keen interest in technology
- You are a curious-minded, data-driven and result-oriented professional keen to make an impact in a highly innovative R&D area.
- Think outside of the box and are eager to learn fast about new approaches and applications relevant to your research field
- You are able to maintain a bird’s-eye view of all your tasks while at the same time manage the day-to-day details and challenges in a positive, constructive and forward-looking way.
- You are highly motivated with a passion for hands-on lab work on a daily basis
- You are an exceptional team-player with outstanding communication skills willing to work in a multidisciplinary and multicultural team of researchers;
- Given the international character of imec, excellent knowledge of English is a must