R&D Engineer Thin Film Deposition of Ferroelectrics
Imec is the world-leading research and innovation hub in nanoelectronics and digital technologies. The combination of our widely acclaimed leadership in microchip technology and profound software and ICT expertise is what makes us unique. By leveraging our world-class infrastructure and local and global ecosystem of partners across a multitude of industries, we create groundbreaking innovation in application domains such as healthcare, smart cities and mobility, logistics and manufacturing, and energy.
As a trusted partner for companies, start-ups and universities we bring together close to 3,500 brilliant minds from over 70 nationalities. Imec is headquartered in Leuven, Belgium and also has distributed R&D groups at a number of Flemish universities, in the Netherlands, Taiwan, USA, China, and offices in India and Japan. All of these particular traits make imec to be a top-class employer. To strengthen this position as a leading player in our field, we are looking for those passionate talents that make the difference! Currently we are looking for a motivated &D Engineer
Thin Film Deposition of Ferroelectrics.
For several decades, semiconductor logic and memory performance has been boosted by dimensional. The introduction of new materials and the exploration of alternate device concepts plays a critical role towards future technological advancements. One of the exiting new topics is the assessment of ferroelectric materials as the functional layer in future devices; one example is the polymorphic material HfO2. Since several years HfO2 has been used as gate dielectric, the heart of a logic transistor, but has recently been rediscovered as a ferroelectric material, when present in its orthorhombic phase. The specific phase requirements of a material and the subsequent impact on its performance demonstrates the necessity of material engineering and proper understanding to ensure optimal device performance.
You will be part of the Thin Films group that is responsible for the development, characterization and optimization of deposition processes for dielectric oxides and metals. You will be responsible for the thin film deposition and characterization of novel dielectric materials by atomic layer deposition and chemical vapor deposition. You will work closely together with other process and integration groups to define the required specifications and to enable the integration of these materials. You will compare material candidates and potential deposition processes, understand their process window and application space. As a project owner, you will be responsible for the proper definition of milestones, time lines, resources, and ensure the timely execution of the project.
- You have a PhD degree in Chemistry, Physics, Materials Science or Engineering.
- You’re an enthusiastic team player.
- You have an analytical mind, use a logical and well-structured approach, but can also think outside the box.
- You are used to work with deadlines and can handle stress.
- Expert knowledge on oxides by atomic layer deposition and chemical vapor deposition is a must.
- Knowledge on control of the crystalline phase of oxides by doping, annealing and / or the use of template effects is a must.
- You have a thorough understanding of material structural analysis and the correlation with materials properties.
- Knowledge of X-ray diffraction and strain analysis of oxide thin films is a must.
- Proven experience in ferroelectric oxides by record publications in the field is a plus.
- Knowledge of semiconductor process technology is a plus.
- Good English communication skills are required.
We offer you a challenging position in an advanced high-tech environment, in an international and multicultural team. This is your opportunity to contribute to technologies that will have an impact on tomorrow’s society. We offer you an attractive salary added with competitive extra-legal benefits such as an interesting life insurance, hospitalization insurance, long term disability insurance and a pension plan. Imec takes on the full cost of these insurances. On top of that you receive meal vouchers for each working day. Imec offers various training possibilities and social services such as a company restaurant, ironing service, the possibility of day care nearby, holiday daycare and discounts in different sport clubs and shops. To decrease our ecological footprint 100% of the transport by train is reimbursed by imec.