Researcher thin-film technology for energy storage and
What you will do
With the worldwide increasing need for more efficient and more performant electrochemical devices (e.g. batteries, H2O electrolyzes for green H2, the capture and utilization of CO2 to valuable e-fuels, fuel-cells, etc.) it becomes apparent that controlling the kinetics and stability of electrochemical active interphases is key. So-called artificial interphases with tailored properties deposited by thin-film techniques (e.g. ALD, CVD, PVD, etc.) are in this regard seen as technological viable routes. For illustration, the inside of the current and future generations of battery cells comprises a complex and harsh environment with a multitude of materials interacting electrochemically. It is clear that a thin-film layer blocking undesirable side-reactions will significantly improve the battery performance and lifetime. By focusing on material development and scalable thin-film deposition techniques, you will be responsible for the imec R&D activities requiring thin-film coatings in the energy storage and conversion application field. More specifically, you will be enrolled in our R&D activities for next-generation lithium metal batteries and power-to-molecules aiming at electrochemically converting electrical energy in valuable molecules (e.g. hydrogen, methane, methanol, ...). Your activities will take place in the imec labs in Leuven (HQ) and Genk (EnergyVille) where state-of-the-art nanofabrication facilities and a fully equipped lab for low and higher TRL research are at your disposal.
We expect from you in this role as researcher:
- Delivering inventive contributions to the development of thin film materials, deposition processes and characterization platforms for battery applications
- Setting out the experimental plans to timely achieve the targets defined in the projects
- Discussing and defending these experimental plans with other team members and scientific management
- Timely and accurately executing and analyzing of the experiments of these experimental plans, and that in collaboration with other team members, including researchers, PhD students and process assistants.
- Regular and effective reporting of the progress in the experimental plan to the management of imec and of our partners.
- Daily supervision of PhD, master, and intern students
- Ensuring good practice in the lab and setting up process and characterization protocols in your field of expertise
What we do for you
We offer you the opportunity to join one of the world’s premier research centers in nanotechnology in the imec labs in Leuven (HQ) and Genk (EnergyVille), Belgium. With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow.
We are committed to being an inclusive employer and proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth.
We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a market appropriate salary with many fringe benefits.
Who you are
- You have a PhD degree in Science or in Science of Engineering.
- You have a background in thin film deposition techniques such as ALD, PVD or CVD and including the physio-chemical characterization techniques to characterize these films, such as ellipsometry, XPS, and XRD
- Experience with electrochemical characterization techniques such as EIS, CV and ESW is a strong asset
- You are creative and like to think with a team to solve problems
- You have experience in collaborative research projects and can effectively summarize a project status
- You take initiative and can work on your own, while you keep on consulting and discussing with a team
- You can plan your work and that of your colleagues according to your deadlines and deliverables
- You are result-driven and can meet quality output with stringent deadlines
- You can guide and motivate team members in their work
- You have an impeccable knowledge of English, given the international character of imec