Scientific Director Health Technology - Holst
Imec at Holst Centre has
established a world-leading track record on the design of novel sensors and
systems for human health applications and ultra-low power IoT devices in
general. For instance, our teams continue to develop innovations in human
health, people activity-, lifestyle- and environmental monitoring, accurate
localization, and many other fields. With our HQ in Leuven, Belgium we are
world renowned for pioneering new process technologies in collaboration with
industrial foundries and with the broader semiconductor ecosystem. Imec’s
research tracks enable unique opportunities for end-to-end innovations.
The health program in Eindhoven has evolved from
an R&D engine for wearables for lifestyle and care into a serious research
center for bioelectronic medicin with the associated implantable technologies.
We have opened a new position to consolidate into organ-replacement/implants,
pharma and/or bioelectronic medicine & minimal invasive surgery reseearch. In
this new role, you will conduct and initiate research for autonomous therapeutic
implants, artificial organs, tissue interaction and bio-electronic systems,
with a focus on defining and leveraging advanced technology for future
(implanted) medical applications. Based on your personal expertise area, there
is some freedom in defining your own focal points.
You will work from Holst
Centre/imec the Netherlands in Eindhoven, yet in close collaboration with the
research groups located in imec Belgium and OnePlanet/imec research in
What you will do
- Boost the health program with new application/technology (scientific) research in the field of bioelectronic medicine, together with the program manager and the team, but with the freedom to define the arena within the given scope.
- Radiate imec’s proficiency at conferences,
seminars and other events, and participate in the adequate scientific
- Pursue novel applications of technologies to
address challenging real-world problems, including establishing new areas
- Focus on the further integration of system and design expertise from our Eindhoven site as well as on the most advanced technology platforms from our Leuven groups. By doing this you drive our ambition to expand beyond chip technologies and leverage emerging process technologies like photonics, ultrasound and photo-acoustics to create ground-breaking new innovations in the fields of health, co-botics and bio(-medical) process sensors. You will push the envelope for the design of new sensor systems for the programs in Eindhoven, as part of the Holst Centre.
- Bridge the technology roadmaps of imec at Holst
Centre with the system and application roadmaps towards an integrated
view. You do this based on your deep understanding of new process
technologies and their roadmaps, like f.i. electronics, photonics,
ultrasound, microfluidics, ...and in discussion with the program directors
and other scientific directors on the system and application side.
- Together with the research teams, you define the
requirements for a range of different sensing modalities in the area of
health: Bio-electronic medicine, Artificial Organs, Neuro readout &
stimulation, a.o.. You conceptualize innovative methods and break-down
research tracks into de-risk steps.
- Work with the top researchers in the teams, you
inspire them towards personal excellence and creativity and you lead them
to international excellence and recognition in these fields.
- Drive technical discussions with our industrial
partners to further develop the research roadmaps, and in support of
customer acquisition of major accounts.
- Write and contribute to proposals, project status
reports, technical white papers.
this position you report to the Program Director Health & Solutions of
What we do for you
We offer a challenging and international environment
amongst top-notch researchers at the forefront of technology, in an international
network of renowned industrial customers. This is your opportunity to bring new
technologies to the market that will have an impact on tomorrow’s society.
Who you are
- Senior/principal researcher, with entrepreneurial
skills bringing together the diversity in the fields of technology and
have done your PhD or are an associate/fulltime professor in a
bio related field (sharing a relevant chair with the job can be
- You understand
biomedical circuits and systems for interaction with tissue, organs and the
(electro)physiology of cells.
- Deep knowledge on various physical sensor
mechanisms i.e. optics, ultrasound, photo-acoustics,
- Well established research track record with
international recognized scientific achievements and international network
in scientific communities.
- Proven track record in developing new system and
sensor concepts in close understanding of bio applications
(Bio-electronic medicine, Artificial Organs, Neuro readout &
- Ability and ambition to define and steer a
research challenge towards international recognition.
- Independent thinker with an entrepreneurial
- Pro-active attitude in initiating significant
collaborations across imec and externally.
- Strong entrepreneurial mindset.
- Fluency in English is required as this is an
Does this position sound like an interesting next step in your career at imec? Don’t hesitate to submit your application by clicking on ‘APPLY NOW’.
Should you have more questions about the job, and the recruitment process, you can contact Frank Wolfs, Talent Acquisition Lead, Frank will be happy to assist you.
Please send us a
motivational letter as well as an up-to-date resume if you wish to apply via