Scientific Director Technology
Imec at Holst
Centre has established a world-leading track record on the design of novel
sensors for human health, environmental monitoring, people activity monitoring,
accurate localization, lifestyle monitoring, and many other fields. The access to world class and upcoming
process technologies in our head quarter teams, in Leuven, Belgium, brings
unique opportunities for end-to-end innovations. In this new role, we want to further
raise the ambition of the system and design expertise in our Eindhoven site leveraging
the most advanced technology research platforms in the Leuven research teams.
The specific focus is on pushing the envelope in the design of new sensor
systems in the areas of bio-medical and robotic senses for the programs in
Eindhoven, as part of the Holst Centre, and in agri-food topics in the OnePlanet
Research Center in Wageningen/Nijmegen and the integration of newest process
technologies into the advanced designs.
our offices in Eindhoven, we have established a leading position on wearable
sensors for health applications, and on ultra-low power IoT devices in general.
The imec Belgium teams have a world leading track record in pioneering new
process technologies in collaboration with industrial foundries and with the
broader semiconductor ecosystem.
To realize a next step in our growth in Eindhoven, we
want to expand beyond CMOS and leverage the emerging process technologies (f.i.
photonics, ultrasound, photo-acoustic, etc) for new sensors in the area of health,
co-botics, microlocation and bio(-medical) process sensors. Hence we start the
recruitment for a Scientific Director Technology Integration.
You will work from
the Holst Centre/imec the Netherlands in Eindhoven, yet in close collaboration
with the research groups of imec Belgium and the OnePlanet Research Center in
Wageningen and Nijmegen.
What you will do
- Based on your deep understanding of new process technologies and their roadmaps, like f.i. photonics, ultrasound, microfluidics, ...and in discussion with the program directors and other scientific directors on the system and application side, you bridge the technology roadmaps with the system and application roadmaps towards an integrated view.
- Together with the research teams, you define the requirements for a range of different sensing modalities in areas such as health, bio-medical, robotics, micro localization,…
- Conceptualize innovative methods and break-down research tracks into de-risk steps.
- Work with the top researchers in the teams and inspire them towards personal excellence and creativity and lead them to international excellence and recognition in their fields.
- Drive technical discussions with industrial partners to feed the research roadmaps, and support Business Development in customer acquisition or large account management.
- Develop and manage international programs and cooperation’s in Academia.
- Pursue novel applications of technologies to address challenging real-world problems, including establishing new areas of research.
- Continuously radiate imec’s proficiency at conferences, seminars and other events, and participate in the adequate scientific eco-systems.
- Write and contribute to proposals, project status reports, technical white papers.
- In this position you report to the General Manager of Imec-NL Eindhoven.
What we do for you
We offer a challenging and
international environment amongst top-notch researchers at the forefront of
technology, in an international network of renowned industrial customers. This
is your opportunity to bring new technologies to the market that will have an
impact on tomorrow’s society.
Imec The Netherlands offers
you an attractive compensation and benefits package including a 100% employer
paid pension plan and flexible working hours. For international candidates we
provide support in the relocation process. We continuously invest in our people
through training, but also conferences, simars and other scientific platforms
are part of our investments.
Who you are
- Senior Principal Researcher, Fellow, or Professor, with entrepreneurial skills.
- PhD degree in Physics, Materials Science, Electronic Engineering or adjacent domains.
knowledge on various physical sensor mechanisms i.e. optics,
ultrasound, photo-acoustics, microfluidics.
- Well established research track record with international recognized scientific achievements and international network in scientific communities.
track record in developing new system and sensor concepts in close
understanding of relevant applications.
and ambition to define and steer a research challenge towards international
- An inspirational team player with a positive can-do mentality who can transform scientific opportunities into tangible results.
- Independent thinker with an entrepreneurial drive who enjoys working in multi-disciplinary and cross-cultural teams.
- Pro-active attitude in initiating significant collaborations across imec and externally.
with mechatronics, bionics or medical robots is
management experience is a bonus, but being a team player is a must.
for regular travel in the Netherlands and to Leuven, Belgium and occasional
- An excellent command of the English language as this is an international environment.
you interested in this position and do you want to learn more about it, then
you can talk to Frank Wolfs, Talent Acquisition Lead imec-NL. You
can reach Frank via +31(0)6-50837563. Please send us a motivational letter as
well as an up-to-date resume if you wish to apply via our website.
Click on ‘apply’ to submit your application. You will then be redirected to e-recruiting.