Scientific Leader Ultrasound microsystems
What you will do
Imec’s Sensors and Actuators Technology department is developing novel process technologies, devices, circuits and solutions to enable new applications. In this growing R&D activity, we are currently looking for a scientific leader for our microsystems activity. The focus will be to innovate on acoustic, and in particular ultrasound, transducers and corresponding applications.
The mission of imec’s microsystems and ultrasound research group is to enable novel applications using transducers, sensors and actuators built with MEMS technology. The team is working on the design and characterization of the devices as well as on full system analysis.
We are looking for a creative and inspiring Scientific Leader, with profound knowledge of acoustic, and in particular ultrasound, microsystems, who can define research directions, propose innovations, relate these to applications, lead projects, guide junior researchers including PhD students, and communicate to senior management. He/she quickly understands new concepts, expands on current knowhow, innovates on the state of the art. Good communication skills are a must.
In this role, your responsibilities are:
- Develop and propose new acoustic/ultrasound systems and devices
- Identify opportunities for industrial relevant innovation and new applications
- Contribute to key scientific results and drive scientific direction
- Take ownership of acoustics/ultrasound projects and guide and mentor project contributors
- Define and coordinate projects with customers
- Give essential input to direct roadmaps and drive IP creation
- Write and coordinate public funded projects
- Mentor and guide junior researchers, including PhD students and Postdocs
What we do for you
We offer you the opportunity to join one of the world’s premier research centers in nanotechnology at its headquarters in Leuven, Belgium. With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow.
We are committed to being an inclusive employer and proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth.
We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a market appropriate salary with many fringe benefits.
Who you are
You have a broad view and good technical understanding of sensing & actuation technologies and applications, in particular of acoustic (ultrasound) microsystems technologies, systems and applications. You have experience in driving collaboration, setting up and executing projects in multi-disciplinary, cross-functional and multi-stakeholders setting. You are a solid planner. You can handle ambiguity yourself and also motivate and steer the teams through it. You are passionate about innovation and motivated by deep and frequent contacts with others.
To qualify for this exciting position, you:
- have a PhD degree (or equivalent) and at least 5 years’ experience.
- have a strong background in acoustic (ultrasound) microsystems technologies and systems
- have experience as project and as scientific lead. Having a track record of leading a research domain, including guidance of PhDs and postdocs is a must.
- have experience in project writing. You are organized and you can structure a complex project
- have excellent communication skills, that you will use to interface with internal and external customers
- can work according to agreed customer timelines and manage time efficiently according to the project schedules
- demonstrate a clear sense of ownership, take initiative and work on your own, while being part of a team
- are result-driven and flexible to meet stringent deadlines with quality output
- are passionate about innovation and excellence
- inspire and align team members
- enjoy working in multi-disciplinary and cross-cultural teams;
The imec environment requires a good team player with customer-oriented communication and reporting skills.
Given the international character of imec, a good knowledge of English is mandatory.