Semiconductor Laser Design Engineer
What you will do
As a laser designer, you will be responsible for developing semiconductor lasers to satisfy the optical source requirements for research in the areas of LiDAR, THz, and near infra-red imaging projects. You will be required to:
- Lead the III-V semiconductor laser development including edge emitting and surface emitting devices
- Conceive laser device design to achieve different performance requirements that may include optical output power under pulsed and/or CW operation, optical line width, laser wavelength tuning, wavelength stability, etc.
- Model laser structures, their device performance and optical mode profiles including the transition into Si Photonics platforms for mode matching and minimal losses as well as beam combining
- Develop laser diode test and characterization setups in the laboratory
- Interface with III-V epitaxial layer designers, epitaxy and device experts
- Interface with system designers and silicon/CMOS designers to ensure smooth integration to a silicon substrate, and other silicon and silicon nitride devices to achieve the desired on-chip system performance.
- Publish research papers and/or patents that may be developed in collaboration with other imec teams, or external research institutes or universities.
What we do for you
In this role, you will work with research teams developing SoC solutions for sensing and imaging technologies with broad applications such as LiDAR, medical imaging, and industrial inspection. ln exchange for your talent, passion and expertise, you will join an ambitious organization, with challenges there for the taking. You will also have an impact on shaping future research topics in our newest R&D center. Imec in a not for profit organization that offers a supportive and collaborative environment with a prefect blend of academic and industry research culture. Our flexible, progressive and informal working environment offers you a range of possibilities to take initiative. In addition this is your opportunity to contribute to the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow. Your valuable contribution and that of your colleagues make imec a top player in its field. We offer competitive compensation packages including medical, dental and vision, and 401k with employer match to reward your drive and commitment.
Who you are
- Have at minimum a PhD degree in Optical Science, Electrical Engineering, or Physics, with research related to semiconductor laser design
- Have 3+ years of relevant post-PhD industry experience
- Have experience designing high power, single mode edge emitting lasers, single mode VCSELs and VCSEL arrays
- Are proficient in simulation of laser diode structures and mode profiles using Matlab, Python or other software
- Are experienced with the design of semiconductor lasers in particular with GaAs and InP based structures using quantum dots and quantum wells as gain material
- Are experienced with near IR wavelengths including 905 nm and 1550 nm
- Are proficient with the test and characterization of laser diodes
- Are knowledgeable about heat management/mitigation in high power laser diodes and VCSELs
- Are pragmatic and hands on with a can do attitude
- Have experience working in R&D environments, have published papers and presented at conferences
- Have the ability to communicate with international teams
- Are able to travel domestically and internationally on occasion