Senior Laser Semiconductor Engineer
Imec is the world-leading research and innovation hub in nanoelectronics and digital technologies. The combination of our widely acclaimed leadership in microchip technology and profound software and ICT expertise is what makes us unique. By leveraging our world-class infrastructure and local and global ecosystem of partners across a multitude of industries, we create groundbreaking innovation in application domains such as healthcare, smart cities and mobility, logistics and manufacturing, and energy.
As a trusted partner for companies, start-ups and universities we bring together close to 3,500 brilliant minds from over 70 nationalities. Imec is headquartered in Leuven, Belgium and also has distributed R&D groups at a number of Flemish universities, in the Netherlands, Taiwan, USA, China, and offices in India and Japan. All of these particular traits make imec to be a top-class employer. To strengthen this position as a leading player in our field, we are looking for those passionate talents that make the difference! Currently we are looking for a motivated Laser Device Designer.
As a laser designer, you will be responsible for developing semiconductor lasers to satisfy the optical source requirements for research in the areas of LiDAR, THz, and near infra-red imaging projects. You will be required to:
- Lead the III-V semiconductor laser development including edge emitting and surface emitting devices
- Conceive laser device design to achieve different performance requirements that may include optical output power under pulsed and/or CW operation, optical linewidth, laser wavelength tuning, wavelength stability, etc.
- Model laser structures, their device performance and optical mode profiles including the transition into Si Photonics platforms for mode matching and minimal losses as well as beam combining
- Develop laser diode test and characterization setups in the laboratory
- Interface with III-V epitaxial layer designers, epitaxy and device experts
- Interface with system designers and silicon/CMOS designers to ensure smooth integration to a silicon substrate, and other silicon and silicon nitride devices to achieve the desired on-chip system performance.
- Publish research papers and/or patents that may be developed in collaboration with other imec teams, or external research institutes or universities.
- Have at minimum a PhD degree in Optical Science, Electrical Engineering, or Physics, with research related to semiconductor laser design
- Have 3+ years of relevant post-PhD industry experience
- Are experienced with design of high power, single mode edge emitting lasers, single mode VCSELs and VCSEL arrays
- Are proficient in simulation of laser diode structures and mode profiles using Matlab, Python or other software
- Are experienced with the design of semiconductor lasers in particular with GaAs and InP based structures using quantum dots and quantum wells as gain material
- Are experienced with near IR wavelengths including 905 nm and 1550 nm
- Are proficient with the test and characterization of laser diodes
- Are knowledgeable about heat management/mitigation in high power laser diodes and VCSELs
- You are pragmatic and hands on with a can do attitude
- You have experience working in R&D environments
- You have the ability to communicate with international teams
- You are Fluent in English, fluency in languages other than English is a plus
- You are able to travel internationally on occasion
In exchange for your talent, passion and expertise, you will join an ambitious organization, with challenges there for the taking. Our flexible, progressive and informal working environment offers you a range of possibilities to take initiative. In addition this is your opportunity to contribute to the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow. Your valuable contribution and that of your colleagues make imec a top player in its field. As befits a true world player, we offer attractive compensation packages including medical, dental and vision, and 401k with employer match to reward your drive and commitment.Interested in more details? Explore our website, www.imec-int.com, and be convinced!