Senior R&D Engineer for Compute System prototype development
What you will do
Architecture and Circuit design innovations are key to position imec for success in fast evolving workloads of tomorrow and to differentiate imec’s process technology innovations with system level value proposition. Compute System Architecture Unit at imec leads research into futuristic compute system to extend imec’s semiconductor research leadership deep into the next decade. This unit is researching accelerator-based architectures for next-generation Artificial Intelligence (AI), compute-in-memory architectures and heterogeneous memory systems. The unit is responsible for architecture definition of new data-centric compute, novel memory subsystem and accelerator capabilities, analyzing emerging usage models, and building hardware and software prototypes for data-driven computing hardware.
As we expand our research to optimize computing system, we are looking for a senior designer to contribute hands-on to the development of circuits and prototypes of proposed system. He or she will work closely with a team to of memory designer, mixed-signal and digital design experts.
In this exiting job, you will:
- You will explore the power, performance, and area (PPA) of dedicated ML and AI hardware to benchmark them against state-of-the-art solution available in the market.
- Teaming up with various experts inside imec, you will prototype hardware implementations and demonstrators built around imec’s in-memory AI technology, either in FPGA emulation or in actual test chips.
- You will be responsible for:
- Designing, modeling and simulating new accelerators to analyze critical trade-offs and bottlenecks of combined digital and in-memory compute solution.
- Create FPGA based or ASIC based test platforms and proofs of concept to showcase the potential of imec’s AI solution.
- Interfacing with imec’s architecture and algorithm experts to understand requirements and constraints for computational memory arrays for machine learning, and how to integrate them in a System-on-chip.
- Generating and securing IP.
- Keeping updated on recent developments in the field. You do this by studying literature and interacting with your colleagues.
- You will maintain and build links with imec’s commercial and academic partners and follow up joint research projects with them.
- You will help drive imec’s technology and architecture roadmap to build the semiconductor technology for AI of the near and far away future.
What we do for you
We offer you the opportunity to join one of the world’s premier research centers in nanotechnology at its headquarters in Leuven, Belgium. With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow.
We are proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth.
We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a competitive salary with many fringe benefits.
Who you are
- You have a PhD degree or equivalent R&D attitude, with experience in IC Design and/or architecture.
- If you are familiar with only one of the two aspects between Design and System Architecture, you are willing to learn the basics of the other.
- You are comfortable in RTL level programming, integrating memory and logic blocks optimally for a targeted functional block.
- Hands on experience on design planning, CPU/GPU architecture and data path design.
- We hope you have the ambition to drive the future technology, you are not afraid of proposing innovative ideas, and are willing to work to their circuit and system-level validation.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to plan, coordinate and take responsibility for effective and on time completion of project activities.
- We are looking for a communicative team player, who is also able to work independently.
- We appreciate your flexibility to change between different projects according to changing priorities.
- Given the international character of imec, your fluent knowledge of English is necessary.