Senior Research Scientist Life Sciences
Imec leverages its expertise in chip design and technology to develop innovative tools for the life sciences, pharma R&D, clinical diagnostics, therapeutic and surgery, biopharma production and analytical biochemistry industries. We combine extensive chip manufacturing facilities and bio-lab infrastructure with world-renowned expertise in chip technology, MEMS, bio-electronics, sensors, photonics, imagers, microfluidics, and biosciences. We work with strong, multidisciplinary teams of world-class scientists.
We work on the intersection where hardware (electronic circuits) and wetware (cells and tissues) meet. We develop solutions for interfacing in vitro cell cultures and in vivo tissues. One of the key emerging fields in cell interfacing is creation of so-called patient-on-a-chip models. These innovative devices are meant to emulate the human physiology on a chip by implementing sensors, complex cell cultures and microfluidics in a dynamic environment. Once validated, the chips could be used to aid the drug development process, to model disease or to aid in personalized medicine applications.
The successful candidate will be involved in development of novel assays for interfacing stem cell based organ on chip devices using sensors and actuators developed in our state of the art cleanroom facilities. One of the team’s platform technologies can be viewed here: https://vimeo.com/270626134.
What you will do
In this job, your main tasks will be:
- you independently design new cell-based assays through hands-on lab work and data analysis;
- you manage/coordinate projects through effective communication with internal and external stakeholders;
- you report project progress to the group leader;
- you assist and follow up on business leads.
What we do for you
We offer you the opportunity to join one of the world’s premier research centers in nanotechnology at its headquarters in Leuven, Belgium. With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow.
We are proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth.
We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a competitive salary with many fringe benefits.
Who you are
- You have a background in Biomedical engineering, Bioengineering or similar
- Strong expertise in cell culturing and/or tissue engineering is must
- Experience in hands-on microfluidics, with or without cells, organ-on-chip systems is strongly advised
- Data analysis, signal processing and Matlab/Python skills are a plus
- Experience working with multielectrode arrays is a plus
- You are a team player with a respectful and motivated personality
- You have strong project management skills