Technical Director City Of Things
The Internet of Things will change everyone’s future. Imec is joining forces with the Flanders region in the “Smart Flanders program” and aims to bring an intuitive Internet of Things to the city, improving the quality of life for its citizens.
Cities and the public sector want to use the power of the internet of things and digitization to become more efficient, and to create cities that are nicer, greener, healthier, etc. Many companies detect that need, and present their offerings to these cities. The Smart Flanders program of imec supports all Flemish cities willing to become ‘smarter’ and that want to collaborate with various companies in achieving that goal, without the risk of vendor lock-in and the loss of access to data.
The nerve center for this initiative is located in StartupVillage, the location from which imec also runs its Antwerp startup and incubation operations. Imec is currently looking for a Technical Director to strengthen its City of Things program.
- As Technical Director, you will have full responsibility of the complete technical scope of all “City of Things” projects for the entire duration of each project.
- Typical “City of Things” projects are multidisciplinary deployments of complex smart city solutions, integrating technology at the hardware layer (sensors, actuators), the network layer (different network technologies, currently mainly LoRa, SigFox and NB-IoT), data layer (different data-platforms) and on the user and business layer (integration of applications, including living lab technologies), with integral regard for privacy and security measures throughout all layers.
- Expertise on all these layers is present within imec. The Technical Director oversees collaboration, integration, and deployment of these technologies in large scale, real life and real time smart city solutions.
- Responsibilities include maintaining consistency and oversight of the end-to-end City of Things architecture.
- Develop trusted relationships with key technology and functional leaders & stakeholders to drive focus on the technical program objectives and optimize program delivery.
- As many of these smart city deployments will be partnerships between the public and private sector, you will establish trusted functional relationships to be able to deploy solutions of high technological and operational complexity.
- Reports to the Director of City of Things.
As Technical Director City of Things you have proven experience in technical program management and in the delivery and successful completion of complex projects. Experience with public-private partnerships is definitely a plus. Your track record as a technical leader allows you to successfully collaborate with multiple technical functions in the areas of infrastructure, technical operations, (software) engineering etc. You will most likely have an engineering degree. Thanks to your technical and business expertise, you are able to establish credibility and rapport with senior executives, technical and non-technical projects teams and colleagues. As a communication superstar with an agile mindset, you inspire your team members and stakeholders creating a collaborative environment that fosters autonomy, knowledge and innovation.
In exchange for your talent, passion and expertise, you will join a multicultural and high-tech company, with challenges there for the taking. Our flexible, progressive and informal working environment offers you a range of possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. This is your opportunity to contribute to the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow. imec supports and guides you in this process; not only with words but with concrete actions. Through imecAcademy, 'our corporate university', we are actively investing in the further development of all our employees to assure their technical and personal growth. Your valuable contribution and that of your colleagues make imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of an attractive and competitive salary with many fringe benefits.