Ultrasound Design and Characterization Engineer
What you will do
Within imec’s Sensor and Actuator Technology department, our team’s research activities focus on the development of novel applications using MEMS transducers, sensors and actuators. As an ultrasound design and characterization engineer, you will collaborate closely with the process technology team, and other electronic teams. This interaction will enable the natural, but challenging, evolution of the currently developed MEMS technologies and devices towards their application. Materials selection, technology parameter definition, modeling of novel physical phenomena as well as technological variability will be key for this successful transition.
In this job, you will:
- develop new ultrasound systems from the transducer design and characterization towards the imaging application;
- design and characterize transducers and ultrasound systems, electrically, mechanically and acoustically;
- maintain a high standard of literature knowledge to support the design and characterization activities;
- collaborate with specialists from our cross-disciplinary design and technology teams;
- contribute to the creation of a long-term vision and strategy for the group;
- contribute to internal conferences/workshops, generate patents and publish in international journals;
- mentor Master internship students and PhD students.
What we do for you
We offer you the opportunity to join one of the world’s premier research centers in nanotechnology at its headquarters in Leuven, Belgium. With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow.
We are proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth.
We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a competitive salary with many fringe benefits.
Who you are
- You have a PhD degree in Physics, Mechanics or Electrical Engineering with several years of relevant experience. Experience in project leading is an asset.
- You have proven experience in ultrasound system: MEMS and acoustic design and characterization, as well as ultrasound imaging.
- You have good knowledge and interest in multiphysic modeling, design techniques and design environment. You are proficient in use of design software (such as Comsol, MEMS+ or Ansys) and on ultrasound simulation software (Kwave, FieldII).
- You are experienced in MEMS characterization (such as impedance, LDV, pressure measurements) as well as in imaging with ultrasound system (such as Verasonic).
- You quickly write code or routines using Matlab or Python.
- The imec environment requires a good team player with competent communication and reporting skills.
- Given the international character of imec, a good knowledge of English is mandatory.